"adequate head control"?

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
What exactly does this mean? I've seen the term used many, many times even used it myself a few times. But I'm realizing I don't know exactly what it means. Is it holding the head up independently with hands up around shoulders/ armpits? Sitting with arms around torso? Sitting independently? Walking?

The convertible seat I have right now is a radian and in the position it's in it's pretty upright. Definitely not 45*. The baby's never been in it and there's not really any reason for her to be unless we need to put 5 adults plus baby in the van. The radian is in with the seatbelt and a locking clip. It would be much easier in that circumstance to take out the infant seat than to have to take out the radian. Of course I'd have to adjust the harness from the 2 year old that uses it during the week but that's easy enough to do without effecting the install. Baby in question is 4 months. The doctor says she has good head control for her age. I've put her in an umbrella stroller as well as in the seat on a shopping cart with no head floppage. Also, there would be an adult in the third row with her if this circumstance were to arise. Basically, when is she able to use a convertible that's more upright?

ADS

Brianna

Has she fallen asleep in the umbrella stroller with no head flop? I would think she'd be fine in a more upright Radian if there's no chin-to-chest going on in the umbrella stroller.

Dmcj13

I usually move the seat to a more upright position when the infant is sitting unassisted, in some circumstances such as yours, for short rides I would be pretty comfortable putting a four month old who can hold her head up in an upright seat, for short rides.

babyherder

With an adult next to the baby I'd be fine trying out baby in the radian. If the baby's head flops the adult can fix it and let you know so you have an idea of what angle your baby is ok with.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
When the baby is *ALWAYS* strong enough and coordinated enough to pick their head up under their own power. The problem isn't head flopping, it's not having mastered how to reposition when they are having trouble breathing.

Not all babies even need 45* at birth. Mine did fine at closer to 30* from day 1.

tiggercat

If the baby flops chin to chest, you want to be sure they cam lift their head back up. For my own kids, I didn't worry about having a full 45 once they were past the floppy newborn stage (a month or so?), but at clinics I err on the side of caution and go for 45 degrees until babe is sitting independently.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I've put her in an umbrella stroller as well as in the seat on a shopping cart with no head floppage.

Not ON the shopping cart right? IN the shopping cart is much much much safer...a baby died when his seat was toppled off the top of the cart at a grocery store a year or so ago.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I read that as in the seat of the shopping cart, not in the carseat on to of the cart. I agree that carseats on carts are very dangerous!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC