SERIOUSLY, WTF.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Just when you think you've seen it all, this popped up in my news feed:

600179_365367060184873_186366104751637_914491_1506245882_n.jpg

Colorado Department of Transportation
Unbelievable! This heartbreaking photo was taken by an officer with the Aurora Police Department during Click It or Ticket enforcement last week. Share it to remind everyone that life is precious, so please be responsible and make sure children are properly restrained in the appropriate child safety seat. Go to www.carseatscolorado.com to find a free local fit station to get help.

Colorado Department of Transportation We want to make it clear that this photo was NOT staged or altered, except to protect the identity of the child. We take this subject very seriously. We wish this photo wasn't real, but in fact it is a real photo taken after a traffic stop by Aurora Police Department.

Link to the Facebook post from CDOT

ADS

Shaunam

A few years ago I saw a news story (probably posted here LOL) about a mom who had a 12 pack in the baby's seat and the baby completely unrestrained. She was ticketed of course, but I don't think the fines are high enough to really get through to people!

4boysmom

What is the point of the picture anyhow. The gas can is not even restrained (threaded through the handle or with the spout facing in so that it is the "torso" of the can).....

Kat_Momof3

I think what's almost more disturbing is I don't see that the gas can is sealed closed (maybe it is, but I can't tell) and wonder if gas would get all over the car and that sweet child.

mominabigtruck

My question is at a traffic stop like that are they allowed to leave after they get their ticket? If someone rolls up with a van full of babies and no seats are they required to stay until someone brings appropriate seats or are they sent off on their merry way?
Posted via Mobile Device

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I just saw this on FB and was coming here to see if anyone posted it. I really do not understand what is wrong with people!
This is the article I saw:
http://www.12newsnow.com/story/18705568/colorado-puts-gas-in-car-seat

Police said the driver told officers the child lets himself out of the car seat. The officer then asked if the child put the gas can in the car seat and buckled it up, then buckled himself into a seatbelt on the other side of the car.

Ah yeah, I'm sure that's what happened. :rolleyes:

jennlana

I think what's almost more disturbing is I don't see that the gas can is sealed closed (maybe it is, but I can't tell) and wonder if gas would get all over the car and that sweet child.

We have a gas can that has a spout just like that. There's a tab on the side you have to push to "open" (or something like that), then you hold the big black part down to open the spout. It shouldn't pour out. But still...That's horrible.
:mad:

skylinphoto

jennlana said:
We have a gas can that has a spout just like that. There's a tab on the side you have to push to "open" (or something like that), then you hold the big black part down to open the spout. It shouldn't pour out. But still...That's horrible.
:mad:

Yeah that. We have one like that. Its a pain in the butt!

PunkyMonkey

Ugh so sad, makes me sick. I would have called DCF on those idiots. That is child endangerment in 2 different ways!

4boysmom

"Police said the driver told officers the child lets himself out of the car seat. The officer then asked if the child put the gas can in the car seat and buckled it up, then buckled himself into a seatbelt on the other side of the car."

Ah yeah, I'm sure that's what happened. :rolleyes:

besides the gas can is heavy that would make more sense since like I said the gas can is not even "restrained". In any sort of fast stop it is just slip out with momentum as there is nothing to hold it in the seat belt.

Keeks64

mominabigtruck said:
My question is at a traffic stop like that are they allowed to leave after they get their ticket? If someone rolls up with a van full of babies and no seats are they required to stay until someone brings appropriate seats or are they sent off on their merry way?
Posted via Mobile Device

We had an RCMP officer in my tech course this past weekend & when she does roadside checks & a child is unrestrained or in an inappropriate seat she does not allow the vehicle to leave until seats are brought or another vehicle with proper seats arrive to transport them. This is in Canada in the province of BC so I'm sure it varies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC