Maxi Cosi Rodi XR or Recaro Probooster?

PikkuMyy

I'm in the process of (slowly) booster training my 5.5 yo. Not going well so far. He rides in a booster in his dad's car and dad claims he sits still, but who knows. That's in the morning when he's probably at his best. I get him whiny, hungry and tired after school. ;) I picked him up in the booster once last week and put a harnessed seat in the car for the following day. I did it again today and he was ok...but most definitely not ready for full time booster use.

The HB TB is "ok" but I'd like something a little more solid. I have bucket seats outboard and a very narrow center seat. The seat belts come from behind the seat back; not from the ceiling or side post. I haven't converted the FR85 into booster mode but I've routed the seat belt through the guide and it does not retract the way it should.

My son is all about green so I've been looking at the green Citro Rush Rodi XR and Envy Probooster. I've read old posts and stats about both and I still can't decide. It looks like the Probooster has deeper wings but it's hard to tell. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other? ;) Price is about the same so that's not an issue. Both seats require a head restraint behind the seat. As long as my son rides outboard, that is not an issue either.

ADS

Brianna

Do you think he'll buckle it in every time, or would you be open to considering other LATCHable boosters?

amanny

We have a Recaro Vivo and love it. The belt fit is amazing on every child Ive stuck in it (4), and every car we've used (too many to name).

PikkuMyy

Do you think he'll buckle it in every time, or would you be open to considering other LATCHable boosters?

I don't have LATCH in my car so that's unfortunately not an option. :\ I do have 3 (retro-fitted) tether anchors so if I were to use the FR85 or Nautilus as a booster, I could at least tether them. However, due to their weight, I'd rather not use either of those without LATCH. Plus, the FR85 doesn't seem to work well as a booster in my car anyway. I don't know about the Nautilus. I haven't tried.

PikkuMyy

We have a Recaro Vivo and love it. The belt fit is amazing on every child Ive stuck in it (4), and every car we've used (too many to name).

I originally wanted to buy a Vivo, until I learned about the shallow seat depth. I'd like something with more leg support as he grows.

christineka

The recaro seats all have depth issues. The vivo's depth is 11 inches and the probooster's is 12 inches. The rodi is 14.

The recaro boosters are solidly built with big wings. The rodi is more flimsy-feeling. The back could fall off the bottom if held wrong while carrying it. The rodi's wings are very good and "huggy", but not as deep as the recaro wings. The rodi has an enclosed shoulder belt path, so the belt will not slip out. The recaro's has the kind that's more open. The rodi turns to a backless booster, the recaro does not. I bought a rodi and sold my vivo because I like the rodi better. It's not perfect, but better for my kids and situation than the vivo. The rodi seat is padded and all my kids think it's comfortable.

PikkuMyy

The recaro seats all have depth issues. The vivo's depth is 11 inches and the probooster's is 12 inches. The rodi is 14.

The recaro boosters are solidly built with big wings. The rodi is more flimsy-feeling. The back could fall off the bottom if held wrong while carrying it. The rodi's wings are very good and "huggy", but not as deep as the recaro wings. The rodi has an enclosed shoulder belt path, so the belt will not slip out. The recaro's has the kind that's more open. The rodi turns to a backless booster, the recaro does not. I bought a rodi and sold my vivo because I like the rodi better. It's not perfect, but better for my kids and situation than the vivo. The rodi seat is padded and all my kids think it's comfortable.

I think I need both, just so I can see which one I prefer. ;)

I was afraid the Rodi might be more flimsy. What's the fabric like on the Rodi?

jessi f

We just got our envy PB today and I love it so far :) I posted several pics in this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=2274174#post2274174 if you want to check them out. I had trouble finding IRL pics of it but my searching skills arent the best :p

I'm pretty sure the seating depth is more than 12'' unless I measured it wrong. The specs page does say 12 but I was getting more like at least 13.5''?

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

I wanna say the depth is more, too... cause Ruthie had at least 2" more in the probooster (and thank god we waited for it as long as we did, cause her knees JUST bent at the edge when we got it) than the vivo

PikkuMyy

My 5 year old is so not helping! I showed him pictures of both and he goes "hmm, well, I like them both!" After showing him both pictures several times I asked "do you like the one with brown or the one that's all green?" Only then did he choose the Rodi XR :p Maybe I'll get that then...but I still want both. lol

PikkuMyy

Christineka, do you have problems with the seat belt getting stuck in the narrow belt guide of the Rodi XR?

The narrow belt guide does give me pause because I've already had issue with booster belt guides in my car. The Evenflo belt guides are a total no-go. The seat belt practically slips out and the booster fit is horrible. The HB TB is ok and the seat belt gets stuck in the FR85 belt guide.

I wish someone around here had a Rodi XR that I could try before buying.

ETA:

My son doesn't ride in a NBB, ever, but this picture shows my seat belt geometry. I pretty much hate my seat belts.
IMG_1848.jpg

This one shows that the seat belt is bunching up even in the TB belt guide:
IMG_2072.jpg

It slides quite freely with the TB though.

I think my seat belts are wider than newer style seat belts too. My car is 14 years old.

Last edited:

christineka

I have the regular rodi, not the xr. I don't think they are narrow at all- just closed so the belt cannot fall out- as it does with the parkways (old) and the vivo. I just looked at some pictures of the xr and they do look more narrow. Sorry I can't help you.

Kat_Momof3

with those seatbelts, I'd probably think cybex, but it only goes as tall as a turbobooster.. maybe a hair shorter... so not sure if that would work for ya.

I'd also be thinking evenflo, and am surprised that one didn't work.

I'd try the combi kobuk, the chicco Strada, too... basically, boosters with belt guides parallel to the seat.

PikkuMyy

The Cybex looks nice but they're quite pricey aren't they? I'll look it up on my laptop tonight.

The Evenflo guides are slanted and I think that's why the fit was horrible. I'll try to get a pic with my son later if he cooperates.

jjordan

Incidentally, the Cybex is no longer being marked in the US, so they are hard to find. There might be a few stores that have old stock, still, but selection is going to be very limited. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC