Need Advice: '06 MDX side by side car seat installation

M

mclaudia1010

We are expecting our second child in the next few weeks and will be dusting off our son's old Graco Snugride 35 infant car seat for the newborn to use.  We have a 2006 Acura MDX and would like to have both the infant seat and my toddler's convertible Britax Roundabout 55 seat installed side by side so that an adult can ride in the passenger side of the backseat next to them and the 3rd row seats can be accessed.  If the car seats are installed on the far ends of the back seat, there is no way for anyone to ride in the back seat or the third row seats.  The car becomes good only for two adults to ride up front- the driver and passenger. This is a problem since my mother will be staying with us all summer to help with the newborn and we will need 3 adults to ride in the car after the baby girl is born.

Additionally, I should mention that my 18 month old son would need to ride rear-facing in the Britax convertible until he turns 2 in November. The '06 MDX doesnt seem to have a latch to hook up a car seat in the middle spot of the backseat. Has anyone out there set up this side-by-side configuration successfully in this car with similarly sized car seat combos - both rear facing?  How did you get around the latch issue for the middle sear? Did you use the seatbelt? If so, were the 3rd row seats still accessible?

Any advice or previous experience with this kind of setup is welcome.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You have to use the seatbelt int the middle. With the lockoff on the Snugride's base, IF they fit next to one another (that's a big if, neither are very friendly with most others) you should be able to get the infant seat as close to the Roundabout as possible (and do the Roundabout with the seatbelt as well, and pull it toward the door so that you give the Snugride as much room as possible in the middle). Even if it's not perfectly lined up between the seatbelt and buckle.

Your son should remain rear facing until well beyond two. Two is simply the absolute bare minimum. Most parents who know better prefer to do more than the minimum. http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

Wendy

mommycat

Is there any reason not to put one of the kids in the 3rd row? I would probably put the infant in the 3rd row and let the toddler ride in the same row as grandma since he would enjoy the interaction much more at this point. Put the bucket pass side outboard so its easier to lift in, and if you have additional passengers let them get in before the bucket is loaded. When baby moves to a convertible you can figure out puzzling options again . Since the base is usually pretty easy to move you could even put it in the 2nd row outboard the times that you don't need the adult seating in the 2nd row. Just an idea.

Stelvis

mommycat said:
Is there any reason not to put one of the kids in the 3rd row? I would probably put the infant in the 3rd row and let the toddler ride in the same row as grandma since he would enjoy the interaction much more at this point. Put the bucket pass side outboard so its easier to lift in, and if you have additional passengers let them get in before the bucket is loaded. When baby moves to a convertible you can figure out puzzling options again . Since the base is usually pretty easy to move you could even put it in the 2nd row outboard the times that you don't need the adult seating in the 2nd row. Just an idea.

I doubt a Snugride 35 would fit front to back in the third row. It is a pretty small third row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC