Question Is this okay to do?

Xandra

Is it okay to have the TB reclined as long as its flush with the seat? I've never heard anyone mention using it this way. This is the only way to keep my 9yr old FS from slouching in it. I knows Graco allows it, but is it safe?

View attachment 16906

Last edited:
ADS

Brianna

That looks good to me. It looks like you're driving a sedan, I assume you can't change the recline of the vehicle seat?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

armywife12

It looks like she did recline the vehicle seat a bit if you look at how the other booster is. Our Veracruz used to have seats like that in the middle row. They reclined slightly

Xandra

The outboard seats do recline('07 camry xle). The booster in the background is upright, seat upright. Booster in front is reclined, and seat is fully reclined. Headrests removed on both seats.

glockchick

I'd be more concerned about the pads on the shoulder belts than the recline. You really should remove those. I'd be ok with that recline.

PikkuMyy

It was a compromise with the kids. They're not used to being buckled in at all and were crying that the shoulder belt was hurting them (dramatic much? Lol). If it's really that horrible I'll remove them, I just didn't see how it would affect the function of the seatbelt. I wouldn't ever add them to a harness seat though. Thanks!

ETA: These are the covers- http://sites.target.com/site/en/spo....jsp?tcin=10815346&keywords=Baby strap covers

If the booster seat is adjusted properly, the seat belt shouldn't rub the child's neck. I definitely wouldn't use those covers. They're marketed for infant seats and shouldn't even be used for their marketed purpose.

Aftermarket covers add extra bulk between the child and the harness/seat belt that will compress in a crash, leaving slack. It may or may not be as big of a deal with seat belts as it would be with a harness, but we don't know. The seat belts haven't been tested that way (with a cover).

Is it possible that the 9 year old has outgrown the high back and that's why the seat belt is too close to his neck? You want the red shoulder belt guides at or slightly above the shoulder level. Since he is a foster child, you probably can't post a picture (even with no face showing) of how the seat belt fits on him?

I'm ok with the recline as well, as long as the vehicle manual doesn't prohibit that position when using a booster seat.

Xandra

I will remove the covers. The belts are not touching their necks. They're positioned correctly. The 9yr old has a short torso. His TB is set only one click above the 6yr old (siblings). Like I said, they're used to not wearing seatbelts at all, so having one on is new to them. They both have SPD to touch and the 9yr old also has it to sound. So I think the not being used to wearing seatbelts plus the SPD is why they're so bothered by it. We'll work on it though :) Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to get used I it.

I can post unidentifiable pictures of them, but this is my first placement and I really don't want to tread that territory.

Thank-you for all of your opinions on the recline :)

Xandra

Update: Got them used to not having the covers. I need to know whether I should get FS the PW SG because he will NOT stop slouching in his seat. Thinking the SG clip will stop that. Is this a good option for a 65lb 9.10yr old?

glockchick

It's not a bad option. My skinny 11 year old still fits in one comfortably and he's almost big enough to 5 step now.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
When he slouches, is the lap belt still properly positioned?

I've had to face the sad fact that my son never sits as non-slouchy as my girls do. His friends, my brother, other guys sit differently too, and I've come to the realization that the different shape of the male pelvis makes it look different when it is actually fine.

Xandra

I haven't noticed the lap belt fit because I'm seeing him slouching by looking in the rear view mirror and seeing his head so far down it's by the belt guides :/

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
At almost 10yrs old and not used to being in a booster, do you think he's slouching because he's embarrassed? At his age, there is no reason he can't be in a backless booster. Being more discreet, he may be more apt to sit correctly, or at least better.

Xandra

He actually loves the booster, and brags to other kids about it. Honestly I think they've have such free roam of the car (have heard stories from them about reclining captain's chairs in their car and sliding down the seat backs from the 3rd row, while driving!) that it's just uncomfortable to sit still and straight up in the car.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My youngest 3 are adopted from foster care. Their older bio siblings haven't been in seats, well, ever since I've known them at 5 & 6yrs old. Anytime I had them with me, they rode harnessed because they were THAT bad in a booster (even at 7 & 8). And guess what?? They LOVED it. Hated it the first time and then after that, they fell in love with it!! Said it was much more comfy. :)

Have you considered a seat like the FR85 being a foster parent? It would work as a harnessed seat for any kiddo over 2yrs and 25lbs and you can use the slide guard with it as a booster for the older crowd. Best of both worlds IMO. Especially for a foster parent with the wide range of kiddo's you will get...many of which as you are finding out, are not used to being in any kind of seat. And many times, due to behavior issues, harnessing is very helpful.

Xandra

Thanks Kay :) I had gotten Radians for harnessed seats, but having a Frontier would come in handy! Like, right now, lol. I definitely think I'll grab that from BRS tomorrow. Thanks a bunch :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC