No commercials. Why?

love-pink

We have commercials for pretty much every thing these days. Why is it carseat manufactures (or even baby gear in general) do not use commercials to get their products known??

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Probably the expense of advertising in relation to profit margin on the product.

Babies and children need to eat a lot, and they need lots of diapers, so it makes sense to spend a lot of money advertising those products because parents buy them constantly, and companies jockey for market share.

People spend obscene amounts of money on toys, so it pays to advertise those, too.

Cribs? Those are only bought once. Strollers? Once or twice. Most parents will buy three, MAYBE four seats per child between birth and 10 years. It's not something constantly on people's minds, nor something that needs to be.

The cost of producing spots and then buying enough airtime to make an impact would be astronomical, and likely wouldn't result in much increase in sales.

I do see magazine ads now and then, and sometimes there are various other sponsorships they're involved in, but I imagine regular commercials just wouldn't be financially beneficial.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You mean TV commercials? Or all ads in general? I've seen magazine ads and banner ads for carseats, so I'm going with the TV commercials.

I think it's a bunch of factors. TV ads are very expensive, and if you think about it, you don't see many for any kind of baby 'gear'. Consumables, like diapers, and non-essentials, like toys yes, but not strollers, cribs, playpens, etc. I think that's because they're mostly a one-time purchase, so you're not going to get much bang for the buck. You can spend a million dollars on a spot for an item a parent is going to spend $300 on during their child's life time, or something they're going to spend thousands of dollars on in their lifetime. It's a better ROI to spend on the thousand dollar items. Also, many of those gear items are considered 'essentials' so you don't have to convince parents to buy them; they're going to do that without any expenditure from you. All the manufacturer needs to do is convince them to buy their brand once they're in the store. Point of purchase ads and preferential placement is cheaper than TV ads too.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. :shrug-shoulders:

ETA: Apparently they're Jennie's thoughts too! :D

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I remember SafeGuard ran TV ads several years ago but that's all I can recall in terms of carseat company commercials. Plus many viewers use DVRs/TiVo and/or watch online and skip through commercials so the payoff may not be there for companies to invest in commercials as much anymore. PR/advertising has trended toward Facebook, banner ads, and viral marketing more and more, KWIM? :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, there are many baby-centric magazines just FULL of print ads for strollers and car seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC