Restrain a kid on a fire-truck?

bnsnyde

So how do you restrain a 6/7-year-old on a fire truck? (I'm not really asking; I just saw an interesting photo in the paper).

Some kids won a prize here and the truck got to take them to school, and there is a picture of a 7-year-old buckled into the truck. The lap portion of the belt (it's lap/shoulder) is over his abdomen, big time. And well, totally doesn't fit.

It just caught my eye since it showcased a kid in an awkward seatbelt, is all. On a firetruck. I mean, you couldn't miss this photo!

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would put a booster in for him, in the rear compartment of our 'crew cab' fire truck...if it were my son.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DS rode in DH's engine once. The belt fit was horrible, but they only moved about 50 feet--just to drive the engine inside. The seats are forward-facing and have lap-shoulder belts, so I don't see why a booster or harnessed seat couldn't be used.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I tried a ton of boosters in fire trucks. The SCBA makes a booster fit hard. I found the harmony at WalMart fits great, and now own 4 of them.

dneul

The fire truck that I have been up close and personal with ( dh does consulting for a pyrotechnics/ fire station) had a lap belt only for the driver and the middle and outboard passenger were a 4 point harness for adults like in race cars. The rearfacing seat that was behind the cab outside also had a 4 poin harness. As far as installing a seat on them though I would think that they would be exempt possibly. Their size, noise, color makes them easy to spot and I would think that they would not get hit very often.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC