SuperLATCH Aftermath

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So, now that the big hubbub has been dead for a while...are people still having SuperLATCH issues?

I hadn't experienced a problem until a few weeks ago when DD accidentally loosened the strap with her foot. I called and they sent a new strap.

There is definitely a HUGE difference in the two. The original one loosens with the tilt-plate barely nudged from parallel. The new one needs to be practically parallel before it moves. I'm not sure it would prevent a kid from accidentally kicking it loose, but I imagine it would curb the loosening-through-vibration that some people experienced.

What have others' experiences with the new belts been?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't put a Radian in with LATCH in so long, I have no experience with the newest seats and SuperLATCH. I do know that as recently as late last year I was still running into issues with loosening SuperLATCH in clients' cars.

Malka

I've had my new radian in (with LATCH) for a couple months now, and every once in a while, I give the seat a tug to make sure it hasn't loosened. Still as tight as it was when I installed it.

Stelvis

The new ones have a little wire clip in the back that they call a retainer clip. It has fixed issues for many people but not everyone. It didn't fix my issue.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I stopped using the SL entirely after all the confusion and non answers I got. I also suggested to all of the radian owners I know ( a large portion of my expecting group from dd) that they use a seatbelt if the could get an acceptable install.

Do the new ones look different? Pics?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The rep I talked to said they had changed them to require a greater angle to release the tilt-lever. I don't know if that's what the clip accomplished or if that was another change.

I can't get photos now, but I did consider making a video of the difference. The old one would allow the belt to slide through like butter with almost no effort. The new one, you actually have to try.

Stelvis

LISmama810 said:
The rep I talked to said they had changed them to require a greater angle to release the tilt-lever. I don't know if that's what the clip accomplished or if that was another change.

I can't get photos now, but I did consider making a video of the difference. The old one would allow the belt to slide through like butter with almost no effort. The new one, you actually have to try.

Yeah, that's what the clip was supposed to do. It must have still been at such a perfect angle in mine that the clip didn't help. I was on my third belt at that point.. I guess it's progress though if they sent you a new belt right away instead of the type of service I received a year ago. I was -- and still am -- so freaked out by how little they cared and how poorly they treated me that I'll never use their products again.

jess71903

Ambassador
So are the LATCH straps going on the new Diono seats the same ones with the wire thingy that people were getting sent to replace loosening SK straps?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
jess71903 said:
So are the LATCH straps going on the new Diono seats the same ones with the wire thingy that people were getting sent to replace loosening SK straps?

I assume.

Stelvis

jess71903 said:

From what I've seen in stores, yes.

coleslawcat

I contacted Sunshine Kids about it well over a year ago and they told me I had installed it incorrectly and that they'd never heard of an issue. They offered no solution. I now only use the seat with the seatbelt. I'm still quite angry over it.

bnsnyde

Tight as ever. It's FF.
With RF I just do seatbelt. It was easy. It looked like if I did latch I might never get it out!

My problem is I can't get their latch to undo! So the opposite problem.
Anyone have that happen?

teekadog

I guess it's progress though if they sent you a new belt right away instead of the type of service I received a year ago. I was -- and still am -- so freaked out by how little they cared and how poorly they treated me that I'll never use their products again.

:yeahthatmad: When I contacted them they said it was probably my own user error and I should just keep an eye on it. I switched to seatbelt and will never buy one of their products again- under any brand name.

Stelvis

coleslawcat said:
I contacted Sunshine Kids about it well over a year ago and they told me I had installed it incorrectly and that they'd never heard of an issue. They offered no solution. I now only use the seat with the seatbelt. I'm still quite angry over it.

You filed a NHTSA report, right?

coleslawcat

You filed a NHTSA report, right?

Yes I did. And mine failed both RF and FF. I initially thought it was my son kicking the adjustor with his foot causing it to fail RF so I tried it FF for another child. I got home from driving over 45 minutes at freeway speeds to find it completely loose and it was very tight when I first installed it. I was very upset thinking about what might have happened. I haven't used the Superlatch since.

I never did hear back from NHTSA, is that normal?

lovemybabies924

I have a diono rxt installed latch rf, I really have to try to get it loosened so I'm happy :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC