Can only upgrade one seat....wwyd?

momtojoshua2002

I found my way over here from BBB -- this moves a lot quicker and I hope to get some advice here.

I can only afford ONE new expensive seat.

DS is 5.5 yrs old, 45 Ibs, 44 inches tall
DD is 2 (born April). 30.5 Ibs, 34.5 inches tall

DS is in a Marathon FF. He's got 1/2 inch left until the top slot. DD used to be in roundabout until the other day (was getting tall-- she's got torso) so I got the Scenera to buy us 2 extra pounds too. I HATE IT!! I hate how difficult it is to pull the buckle strap, and I hate not being able to tether to the floor....

I have a 2003 volvo v70.

This is what I'm thinking --- DS will outgrow the Marathon by his 6th bday in Feb. DD will hit 33 Ibs within that timeframe (I'm guessing). So DD could get the Marathon at taht time and we can get DS a Regent or Monarch. HOWEVEr, since I hate the Scenera I want something for DD NOW, and if I gave her the Marathon now DS would need a new seat..... So it's either something like the Como now for DD, and then Monarch for DS in the winter. Or Regent for DS now, and DD gets the Marathon.

My questions are:
1.Would DS be too small for a Monarch right now?
2. Would DD be ok forward facing before her 3rd -bday? (I'm hoping we'll get past her 3rd b-day if we have a seat that allows 35 ibs instead).
3. Has anyone successfully installed a Regent in a volvo v70? (The marathon installs fine RF).

I can't get both a Como and Regent at this time, so it's sort of either or...... The Como and Regent or possibly Monarch are the seats that I'm intersted in (not Radian or something else) after lots of research. Just not sure what my best strategy is..... I'm concerned about DD having to FF by this winter, and DS going into a Monarch instead of a Regent (if that's the approach I took).

HELP! :confused:

Thanks in advance......

ADS

Erika Ruth

It looks like you really have put some thought into this. I, am not a Tech, so I don't feel comfortable answering. Hopefully, very shortly, you'll have a few responses.

(My almost 4 year old has about 1/2 an inch left on her Marathon as well, so I feel your pain!).

Erika

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I don't know alot about the new ones that aren't out yet. But I'd say get the regent if it can install in your car. Then you can decide if its worth the pita to use the scenera to get those last 2lbs or if it isn't, then switch her to the marathon when you get the new one.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would get the Regent. I'd rather your son be in a harness and have your daughter FF at the age of two, then your son be in a booster and your daughter still RFing.

Edited to add: The Regent can be passed down to your daughter once the Marathon expires and your son can go into a booster at that time.

skaterbabs

I would get the Regent. I'd rather your son be in a harness and have your daughter FF at the age of two, then your son be in a booster and your daughter still RFing.

Edited to add: The Regent can be passed down to your daughter once the Marathon expires and your son can go into a booster at that time.

I agree. Get your son a Regent and pass the MA down to your daughter. You can always keep the Scenera as a spare, and then use it as a primary seat from 33-35 lbs (could be a week or could be several months, but that's what I did when my DD outgrew her MA by weight RF just after her 2nd bday.)

amyg530

i'm not a tech but heres what i would do

return the scenera, i find it hard to believe that if she outgrew the RA RF that she would fit in the scenera RF. according to the carseat data page, the scenera is only 1/2 inch taller shell.
(my DS outgrew the scenera RF and is FF in it right now till i can afford a MA and then he'll be RF again)

put your DD in the MA RF till she outgrows it by weight, it could take her a while to gain those last 2.5# *i* would be ok with a 33# 2.5yo FF

get the regent for your DS. if hes got 1/2 inch in the MA then he should have 3 inches in the regent.

can you measure their torsos?
also what is the DOM on the MA? i only ask this b/c if you bought it when your DS was 6mo then it would already be 5 years old (if my brain is working correctly) and would only have a year left before it expires. if this is the case, in another year you'll have to re-evaluate your seat situation. of course by then your DS may be ok for the monarch and you could pass the regent to your DD.
hope that helps

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

I agree get your ds a Regent and pass the Marathon down. My youngest dd is tall & skinny but still hit the weight limit in her Marathon at a little over 2.5yrs old. I was 100% comfortable with ff'ing her at that point. She meet all her carseats requirements & stayed rf'ing to the full weight limit of her seat.

No one can say for sure how the Recaro's will install and user friendly they will be. We are hopefully they will be great seats if they are anything like their other seats. But, Only until we actually get some hands on experiance do we really know how user friendly they will be.

momtojoshua2002

Thanks guys, i think that is what I'll do then. The Manufacture date on the Marathon is 2004 (have to double check the month), so it will last DD until she's ready to move into the Regent. I think i'll switch DS to either a Monarch or another back booster once the MA expires for DD. My car has the integrated boosters so we'll see how DS "looks" once he is 8 if he can use them, or I should get a back booster at that time. Anyway --- this strategy makes total sense now! :)

We'll be heading to Great Beginnings this weekend to see if they have the Regent (per their website they do), but I'm pretty sure that's the route I will go.

The Scenera sits deeper, if taht makes sense (at least per my eyes) so she's got a full inch to go in the Scenera but she was less than 1/2 into to the top of the Roundabout. Maybe because the Scenera is less padded too? I don't know -- if that darn thing wasn't so difficult to tighten the harness (and I'm not a fan of the LATCH being one strap and you tighten in one end only), it's perfect in size!

I think I'll return the Scenera, although it was only $34. Easy enough to pick up a new one if DDwould hit the 33 Ibs sooner rather than later.....

amyg530

thats great that the MA is newish, she should be able to make it to 5 in that (3years till expire) and then your DS will be 8 and can get the monarch and she can get the regent till shes 8

i *think* for the scenera its outgrown RF when there is an inch left (i should know this since i have this seat but i do not have my manual) so she might have already outgrown it RF and even if it is to the top of the shell, she might grow that extra inch before she gains those 2.5#

i hated the scenera RF also and had to put DS in it, get it tight, then take him out without messing with the straps,. and then install the seat. and i would have to just uninstall it every so often to tighten the straps again, which was a pain but at least it was an easy install for me. i'm hoping when i get his MA (and turn him back RF) that its easier to tighten

momtojoshua2002

Amy, the MA is definitely easier to deal with in all aspect, IMO! I got so frustrated with the Scenera yesterday (DH can tighten it just fine if he uses ALL his strength), that I took the MA out of DH's car (newer, nicer, expir. 2005) and put it in my car instead for DD. HEHE! :D

I called Great Beginnings yesterday and they have the REgent in stock in both colors (not the girly color) so we're heading there first thing once they open this morning!

I'm still confused regarding the installation for the Regent (The current online manual doesn't seem to diff. by weight the Short and long belt route, but I know I have seen that there is (or was) a difference somewhere! I guess we'll see what manuf. date I end up with once I get there.....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC