Diono okay with this?! (rf tethering info posted on FB)

canadiangie

I just read a response from Diono on FB talking about rf tethering and that attaching the d-ring to the underside of the vehicle seat the CR is installed on is ok.

Really? Is this new? How did I miss this? :confused:

"Diono: You can attach the Connector Strap to a non-moving part that is bolted to the floor of the vehicle. Most of the time you can do this on the seat in front of the Radian. It can be under the same seat where the Radian is installed.
3 hours ago · Like"

Someone later clarifies that this is a correct statement, and it seems to be, based on the responses.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I got that same response a year or 2 ago when I was having such difficulty finding a tether spot in my Explorer. It's Britax that forbids it.

canadiangie

Is this in the manual? Or is this a case of because they don't expressly forbid it, we assume it's ok?

Are there people here who are actually doing this?

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
When I put the XTSL in my van its tethered to the captains chair it's installed on. I don't think this is new information from them.

lovemybabies924

I wish the cco allowed that! I have the PERFECT rf tether spot but its under the seat I use... Good to know I can tether my rxt there then, it's more secure!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Wow! I'm not rushing out to move my tether anchor yet but this could be good news in my Suburban. Even though I have it tethered to a non-moving place in the Suburban, the movement of the front seat changes the angle of the car seat by pressing against the strap itself. I have to constantly gripe at passengers not to move the front seat. I could eliminate that problem if the tether strap were angled under the chair the Radian is installed on.

It would really help me to know whether one method is "preferred" or offers increased safety, or whether it doesn't make any difference in crash tests. Because putting it under the Radian would be more convenient in that vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I read that too and was going to post a thread and forgot-because I seem to remember a few years ago people getting told it was NOT ok, by SK, not just Britax. :confused:

embassykh

I don't understand why it wouldn't be okay. There would be no rebound which serves the purpose. Anyone care to share the science behind why it wouldn't be okay?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not an engineer or a physicist, but I imagine certain angles could cause too much stress on the seat. It's not that there's no rebound--it's that much of the rebound is displaced and those forces have to go somewhere.

It's also possible it's just fine, but I have no way of making that determination.

I do know that Britax changed their stance from allowing it to not, so I have to believe there was a reason.

I don't recall Sunshine Kids ever specifically allowing it or not, though it's entirely possible--I just don't recall. It's so hard to know what was really ok when the person giving advice seemed to grab stuff out of nowhere.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, that's true, but honestly things aren't THAT much better now. :/

I'd like to hear from an engineer on this (but maybe not the guy who says stuff based on speculation?)

laurengt

Since the tether is just for rebound control, it really shouldn't matter where it's tethered -- down and towards the front, straight out, or down and to the rear -- as long as its not off to the side too far. It would be an off-side tether location that will cause odd angling and unpredictable movement in a crash. I think of it like a FF tether; you find those anchors all over the place and at all sorts of angles.

That's just how I see it though. I'm not an engineer.

Jessica61624

NicoleCPST said:
Stuff like this, the contradicting statements makes me want to throw all of my Radians out.

I feel the same way. It makes me question everything they say. Even what's in the manual. Sometimes I feel like too much knowledge is bad.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Stuff like this, the contradicting statements makes me want to throw all of my Radians out.

What contradicting information? I've got my 80SL manual right here, and sure enough, it says nothing at all about where the tether anchor should be attached for RF as long as it's something (a seat belt or a vehicle seat post) that's bolted to the floor of the car.

Are we talking about contradicting information given out by random CS reps? Like the one who recently told someone it was OK to take the harness of an expired Marathon and use it on a newer Marathon along with the expired cover (because the newer Marathon straps didn't match the color of the older Marathon cover)? Oh wait, that was Britax.

Sometimes CS reps pull **** out of their ****. If we wrote off every company that had that problem, we'd be left with, what, Clek?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC