Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help with MA install (lock offs)

How hard should it be to close the lock offs? My thumb is super sore, it was really hard to close. I'm scared I'm going to bust it; that the belt will pop out and snap it. The 2nd one is easier, but still reasonably difficult to close, because the first is holding the seat in tight and I can press the seat down further without holding the belt tight like I need to do when closing the first.

I was thinking the belt should be looser than it is now, then the lock off would give it that last smidge of tightness. But if I do that, the seat is too loose. If I had a 2nd person, I could them to press the MA in, and then I wouldn't need to keep the belt super tight as I'm doing up the lock off (right now the belt is basically helping me keep the seat down tight). But DH is keeping the littles busy and TechnoTeen isn't home to help.

So it's good and tight, just scared that I'm going to bust a lock off.

Hopefully I haven't explained this too poorly....

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Also, I originally installed with a noodle and realized I was around 45-46* so I took the noodle out. The blue line is slightly past parallel, so according to Britax, that should be slightly more than 37.5*. My plumb bob app (calibrated to the plane of the vehicle) tells me the seat is anywhere from 35-37* depending where on the inside back I measure. So let's pretend it's only 35*, is that too upright for a 5.5 month old? Good head control; sits unassisted, rolls both ways, etc.

Assume you mean a new gen seat with the blue lock offs? They're a bear to close is the belt is tight. However, if you close them with the seat a bit tight, you can still pull the belt tight through them. Which also means they sometimes let the install loosen over time :/
    Oh and the angle would be fine for one oft kiddos at that age.
    Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Okay, I can try that. And yes, blue lock offs. As for the loosening over time, maybe I'm better off dealing with the tilt. The tilt bugs me though.

But if the lock off won't bust as it is now, then I've got them done up and everything is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
    Okay, I can try that. And yes, blue lock offs. As for the loosening over time, maybe I'm better off dealing with the tilt. The tilt bugs me though.

But if the lock off won't bust as it is now, then I've got them done up and everything is tight.

If it's tight, I'd leave it and just check tightness once in a while. I've never seen/heard of this type popping open.
    Another tip- when closing them, I use the palm of my hand to push it closed rather than my fingers.

Thanks. And I realized now I can get it in with the seatbelt and no tilting, but it's not tight enough. Once I get DH to tighten it more, it's the tightening of the belt around the latch plate that pulls the seat towards the latch plate, not the locked belt that does it. We probably need both of us so someone can press seat in straight while other tightens but I'm not leaving the baby in the house alone or sitting her up on the garage floor. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
    Thanks. And I realized now I can get it in with the seatbelt and no tilting, but it's not tight enough. Once I get DH to tighten it more, it's the tightening of the belt around the latch plate that pulls the seat towards the latch plate, not the locked belt that does it. We probably need both of us so someone can press seat in straight while other tightens but I'm not leaving the baby in the house alone or sitting her up on the garage floor. LOL

Put her in a stroller?

Quote Originally Posted by tiggercat

Put her in a stroller?

Ha ha, apparently I'm too tired to think of something that smart!

DH said he likes the lock off install better anyway. It ends up being tighter than we can get with the belt alone in that position.

First and second lock off? I thought you only used the lock off closest to where the seatbelt buckles. Correct me if im wrong!

Re: Help with MA install (lock offs)

Quote Originally Posted by kirst View Post
    First and second lock off? I thought you only used the lock off closest to where the seatbelt buckles. Correct me if im wrong!
    Nope, you're not wrong. I was just coming here to laugh at myself for using both then later rereading the instructions and realizing I only needed one and having to redo it all. I was using two because I was used to it from the True Fit.

And can I say I wanted to throw this seat out the window. I ended up having to use the noodle as without it was slightly less inclined than the blue line which is looks just a little too upright for when she sleeps right now. DH cut the noodle shorter so it fit between the belt points better and it's just slightly more reclined than the blue line now.

Basically our centre seat with the seatbelt from ceiling that you create with a point in the seat, bites for seat installation. And I have no choice as the booster has to go outboard since they don't work in the centre. And this seat is little wider than what I really needed but I didn't have much choice as anything else was as wide or wider.

Quote Originally Posted by kirst
    I thought this too. I may be getting that confused with the old Britaxes though.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Why do you need to use the lockoff? Don't your belts lock? I seem to remember your vehicle looking newish when you posted pics the other day of the new seats.

Alice, May 2009, riding in a Frontier
    Astrid, May 2015, riding in a Snugride 30

Quote Originally Posted by amelia222
    Why do you need to use the lockoff? Don't your belts lock? I seem to remember your vehicle looking newish when you posted pics the other day of the new seats.

I think she was finding that the seat was tipping of she locked the belt.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by amyd

I think she was finding that the seat was tipping of she locked the belt.

Technically you can use both lock offs it was in the original ma 70 manual that I have they only recently changed it.

As for the lock off there is a trick to shutting it, run your finger down one side pressing on the corner. I saw it in the britax installation video, changed my life! Well not really but made my finger less sore that's for sure
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

17. Thank You from:

Re: Help with MA install (lock offs)

I know you've resolved the issue Techno, but I wanted to add this link just for others who may be researching this same issue:

http://sk.convio.net/site/DocServer/...df?docID=21061

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord

Good information! There is at least one part that's not accurate for the 2nd gen MA. It says:

As such, Britax recommends that the lock-off farthest from the buckle be used.
    And my manual states to use the lock-off closet to where the belt is buckled.

Smile Re: Help with MA install (lock offs)

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    Good information! There is at least one part that's not accurate for the 2nd gen MA. It says:

And my manual states to use the lock-off closet to where the belt is buckled.

Good catch!!!

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord