Which backless booster?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you needed a few inexpensive backless boosters to have for emergencies and/or for carpooling (all for children aged 7 to 12), which boosters would you get?

Harmony Lite Rider
Harmony Cruz
Harmony Olympian
Graco Turbo Backless
Evenflo Amp
Cosco Topside
Another?

The seat(s) needs to be available at Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, Target, KMart, or Walmart.

ADS

PikkuMyy

I have a Harmony Cruz and a Harmony Lite Rider for carpooling. The girl is 8, going on 9. The Lite Rider fits better in tight spaces but the Cruz provides better leg support (seat depth). My carpooler has never commented on one being better than the other but I prefer to give her the Cruz for the deeper seat/leg support. Both provide great lap belt fit but mediocre shoulder belt fit because my seat belts come from the top of the seat back. However, both seats do come with a shoulder belt adjuster. I bought the Cruz at Target and the Lite Rider at Walmart.

EDIT: I stay away from the Topsider because of the belt routing. The shoulder belt has to go *over* the arm rest on the buckle side, often resulting in a poor fit. Most boosters require the lap AND shoulder belt to be routed *under* the arm rest on the buckle side.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a Harmony Cruz and a Harmony Lite Rider for carpooling. The girl is 8, going on 9. The Lite Rider fits better in tight spaces but the Cruz provides better leg support (seat depth). My carpooler has never commented on one being better than the other but I prefer to give her the Cruz for the deeper seat/leg support. Both provide great lap belt fit but mediocre shoulder belt fit because my seat belts come from the top of the seat back. However, both seats do come with a shoulder belt adjuster. I bought the Cruz at Target and the Lite Rider at Walmart.

Exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks! :D

EDIT: I stay away from the Topsider because of the belt routing. The shoulder belt has to go *over* the arm rest on the buckle side, often resulting in a poor fit. Most boosters require the lap AND shoulder belt to be routed *under* the arm rest on the buckle side.

Oh, that's right! I forgot about that. I don't like that.

creideamh

Of those, I like the Literider since it's compact and easy to throw in the car (though I keep a Bubblebum since I drive a Prius), but all of my booster riders LOVE the Amps ("SO SQUISHY AND COMFY!")

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Olympian looks really nice and is wider and offers much more leg support it seems over the other Harmony seats.

crunchierthanthou

I'd get whichever Harmony it is they have at Target. Cruz? They're so pretty! I'm tempted to pick up a blue one because our (boring tan) Literider accidentally went 6 hours away with my mom.

AMPs are nice, too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, the Harmonys look really nice, are pretty compact for their width/depth, position the belt well... And are cheap! LOL. (I'm personally a BubbleBum fan but it doesn't meet your criteria, so. But if you ever find yourself needing something REALLY REALLY narrow, keep it in mind!)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks, everyone!

I just ordered a Bubble Bum for my car, but it is another family member who needs some "emergency" and/or "carpool" seats now. :)

Thanks again!

monstah

I have a lite rider and bubble bum stored in the back of my car just in case. (And they have come in handy quite a few times!)
But I don't shop at Walmart anymore so....
crunchierthanthou said:
I'd get whichever Harmony it is they have at Target. Cruz?

AMPs are nice, too.
What she said!
And I need a Bubble Bum for the center position in my third row. *Nothing* else fits there.

ginny4

the harmony literider is quite narrow, very very lightweight & really cheap (walmart).

the Amp is what my DD prefers since its roomier & just plain more comfy in it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have 2 literiders and they work really well as back up seats for friends or for my dd to take when she rides in other's cars. They would not be my first pick for a full time seat for her, though, because they are just not deep enough.

ElfJewel

A couple of literiders for most of them and a cruz for the bigger kids. We have lots of literiders because they work almost everywhere.

mlohry

I have a secret love affair with the Amp, love that seat so much! It fits every kid I have ever tried it with, including my DD was she was 2 years old...not that I would do that, but it helps prove my point!

I do think for a child bringing a seat to and from a literider is good, so light and small.

cookie123

Really the Amp is super comfortable? It sure doesn't look it. Actually, no booster seems that comfortable to me. I had wanted the Graco Airbooster. No cheap crappy thin cover on a hard piece of plastic! Though it did seem like it would sag down after awhile.

Anyway, I got the Harmony Secure Kid or something like that. From Toys R Us. It seems like the padding is a bit better. Hannah has used it once and it seems quite high. Her head was way up there. I should probably get something else. I haven't got around to trying the backless Monterey in there. I should do that soon.

kam1011

I like the amp the best, but we have I think 3 literiders scattered around with various relatives for emergency school pickups or stuff like that. My DD also likes the backless TB just fine. I think I gave everyone I know a backless booster for "emergencies" :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I finally ordered two new boosters-- both Evenflo Amps. I found the Amp for almost as cheap as a Cruz, so I ordered it. :) Two, actually.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm searching for my favorite color Amp, I think Leah will like the armrests on it better than her other backless seats. Glad you got a deal!

momtoo3

I know you already ordered the Amps but just to throw it out there...our new favorite backless booster is the Cosco Ambassador/HiRise. We got ours at Kmart during a B1G1 free sale, $18 for 2 boosters. The belt fit is awesome and it works in the tight 3 across in the 3rd row of my van with room to stick a hand in to buckle. The leg support is good too.
Ds2 wants a blue flame Amp and will probably get one when he goes backless in dh's car during his next growth spurt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC