Ford Edge, 3 across

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My parents have a 2010 Ford Edge. They will have the 3 youngest grandkids for a week next month. They could use my minivan, but the Edge has their beach sticker and last summer they had to drop mom and kids off, dad had to park a mile away and walk. Real PITA. So if I can make a 3 across it will help.

We have a 9yo who normally rides in a Monterey and an Evenflo HBB as a spare.

A 7 yo who normally is harnessed in a GN, same Evenflo HBB as spare but my sister does not like her riding in it. She's very very petite. Waiting to hear back, but definitely less than 40lbs.

A 6 yo, ditto on the GN. This one is mine, and he also rides in a TB in uncle's car. He's a good booster rider. He weighs 47lbs.

To complicate matters, my parents are out of state. I will be walking on a ferry to meet them and give them ds. Any seats I am taking I have to carry. So I can't just take everything I have and try it out. My sister won't be arriving until the next day. She is arriving by car, so she'll have a GN and the MOnterey with her. She is competent, but if there is an issue I won't be there to help. So I kind of need to know it will work...because it will be too late for me to go ahead and leave my van.

Any suggestions?? Please? :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

mommycat

How big is the 9yo? Does the vehicle have a l/s belt in the center? I am assuming that you don't want to pick up any new seats? Or let anyone go backless for the week?

I can't tell you it would work for sure but I would use the TB for your 6yo and the evenflo for the 9yo and harness the 7yo in the GN. If you are willing to drag it along, you could bring your gn and see how the install work, that way you have control over the install and how the TB fits next to it You could pick up a harmony backless as a backup and leave it in case the evenflo or other seats don't fit - either to put the 9yo in it with the GN still installed or to take out the GN and booster the 7yo in the evenflo after all.

Sorry I don't know that vehicle at all. Hope my rambling helps you think it out. :shrug:

This says the rear seat has 56.3" hip room, fwiw.
http://autos.yahoo.com/ford/edge/2010/se-fwd/specifications.html

CTPDMom

It does, thanks!

I forgot to say my mom has a TB at her house. And a Scenera. She works for the church as a social worker, so occasionally has emergency transports. So we have access to 2 TBs. I am fairly certain 7yo won't fit Scenera by height.

And I just spoke to my sister. My 7yo niece is still at 37lbs, so no go on the booster for her. Even an HBB. My sister doesn't even want it for back and forth to the beach, because she's afraid she'll have a hard time getting her back in a harness afterward. So the 7yo MUST be harnessed.

I don't mind going to get another booster or two if needed, but definitely don't want to go buy a Radian or anything.

My sister does not want the 9yo backless, I just asked.

Yes, there are 3 l/s positions.

The hip room measurement is helpful...off to go see if a GN and 2 TBs are a possibility! I definitely don't mind hauling a TB on the ferry, WAY easier than the GN I used to have to haul! LOL

ETA: The data sheets say external width for TB is 16", GN is 19.25" and Monterey is 18". GN and 2 TBs = 51.25". That leaves 5". So I think that will work! Right? LOL

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I was going to say BubbleBums all around, but I guess that's a no-go. I wish I knew more about the vehicle. Sorry I'm no help. :(

mommycat

The numbers sound hopeful... just hope there are no surprises! Great that you have the 2 TBs, does the 9yo still fit in that with the back on? (I guess she must since you are considering that option! lol)

If the GN proves to be just too wide, how expensive is the Maestro down your way? The measurements forum lists it as "External Seat Width: 18.75 in." and then maybe your mom could use it in her work as well as future visits?

monstah

I have a Radian you can borrow. ETA: and a MA70, it usually puzzles OK with boosters because the base gives you a spot to stick your hand in to buckle. Just LMK.

Monterey next to the RN might give you enough room for a GN but I'm not familiar with the Edge.

krystin_21a

I had a 2010 Edge and the backseat was pretty narrow for seats, but I had big seats. On the driver side I had a frontier 85 and on the passenger side I had a classic marathon ar facing. I am on the smallish side (5'2, 118 pounds) and I could barley fit between the two but was able to sit flat and use the belt. Not sure if this helps you or not, but that was my experience. Good luck!:)

CTPDMom

The numbers sound hopeful... just hope there are no surprises! Great that you have the 2 TBs, does the 9yo still fit in that with the back on? (I guess she must since you are considering that option! lol)

If the GN proves to be just too wide, how expensive is the Maestro down your way? The measurements forum lists it as "External Seat Width: 18.75 in." and then maybe your mom could use it in her work as well as future visits?

Yeah, see, surprises are what I'm worried about! I think I'd feel best if I had the seats all situated in the car the day I'm over there and before my sister arrives.

TB height...hmmm...at Easter they were all in my car and I'm trying to remember if my older niece was in the TB at all or if she was just in the Oobr. Will have to have my sister measure, thanks for pointing that out!

Maestro will only gain me .5", not sure that's worth it.

I have a Radian you can borrow. ETA: and a Britax, it usually puzzles OK with boosters because the base gives you a spot to stick your hand in to buckle. Just LMK.

Ooohh, didn't even think about asking you, thank you for the offer! :love:

Ugh, not sure what to do. If I borrow a RN from you, I have to cart it on the ferry along with a TB. But it's 3" narrower than the GN, which means they have 8" which still isn't a lot, but it's more than the other options.

:::thinking:::

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC