Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician CrunchyMaineMama's Avatar

Noise reduction earmuff/headphones for preschooler?

Does anyone have recommendations for something for noise reduction for a 4 year old? DD has sensory issues and gets upset with certain noises. She was really excited to go to the Memorial Day parade today, but then clung to DH when the motorcycle police went by
    She has tried on my friend's DD's Baby Banz, but complained that they weren't comfortable. We have just regular winter ear muffs, but they don't muffle the sound enough.
    Rachel-CPST & Mom to 4 Now!
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Just a pair of kids noise canceling ear muff things should be fine, did you look on Amazon? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ZMRDKY/ref=aw_ls_1_1?colid=3I8CPY06YBNJ8&coliid=I1C8OWUNK GRKOI&vs=1"]Kids' Noise-Reduction Ear Muffs (Silver):Amazon:Electronics[/ame]
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

Re: Noise reduction earmuff/headphones for preschooler?

I'm with poster above I'm guessing any of the ones on amazon would work fine. DS1 has
    has these john deere ones [ame="http://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-93112-Professional-Earmuff/dp/B000UTC4J6/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t"]Amazon.com: John Deere 93112 Professional Earmuff: Home Improvement[/ame] His grandfather works at the JD dealer ship and got him some...as he refused the black ones OT had but the "tractor ear muffs" are cool enough for him. So you may want her input when your shopping for them.

If she finds the ear muffs uncomfortable I remember seeing a kit to make ear plugs...or you could probably find a hearing aide place to make some to fit her.

Carseat Crazy

Nathaniel also hates loud noises. After visiting my in-laws and him playing with grandpa's hunting muffs, we got [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002INNUO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00"]these[/ame] for him and he loves wearing them. He even made it through a fireworks show wearing them, where the prior year he buried his head in a blanket in my lap and cried.
    Outdated profile name--I'm up to Momma of 4 boys now with another little boy on the way!

(9.5yr, 7yr, 5yr, 28mo)

CPS Technician

DS1 has high functioning autism, sensory issues came w/that.

We buy the cheap, orange (they come in clear, too) silicone putty type ear plugs from Walmart or Target. They're in the first aid section, intended to keep water out in the bathtub. Might be $3.00 a pack, and keep them stashed in each bag and car.

Those, along w/a hooded sweatshirt or t-shirt and sunglasses have gotten him thru movies, fireworks, stupid family members at family get togethers, concerts--you name it!

I'd have bought him noise reduction head phones/ear muffs, but the ear plugs worked out great. Plus, now that he's 6.5, he worries what others will think..and the earplugs aren't that noticible, plus they're cheap if he loses them.

At other times, he uses his headphones and music player to drown out other noises.

hths

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

CPS Technician CrunchyMaineMama's Avatar

I hadn't thought of the putty stuff! I bet that would work! Thank you!! She doesn't like anything too tight on her head (which makes finding sunhats fun ) so I think that's why she didn't like the Baby Banz. I'd be worried about ordering some off Amazon without knowing how tightly they fit.
    Rachel-CPST & Mom to 4 Now!
    J-7 Recaro Performance/Nauti, A-4.5 Frontier 85/Nauti, O-3.5 RFing Size4Me/RXT and M-3.5, RFing Size4Me/RXT

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

We use the Peltor earmuffs for kids. They fit my small head, too, which is nice when using our outrageously loud blender.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

Quote Originally Posted by krasota View Post
    We use the Peltor earmuffs for kids. They fit my small head, too, which is nice when using our outrageously loud blender.
    We love the Peltor earmuffs too. My oldest has sensory issues and the earmuffs have been a lifesaver.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-90553-Kids-Earmuff-Pink/dp/B001ET5XAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338490534&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Peltor 90553 Kid's Earmuff, Pink: Home Improvement[/ame]

ChelleLuvs4
    Baby Banz have been amazing. We use the earmuffs at amusement parks, fireworks, and noisy restaurants. My little Noah is easily startled. These work like a charm

You can get ear molds made at an Audiologist's office. They'll be soft silicone, shaped for her specific ear. You can choose colors, glitter, etc. should cost less than $100. The color/glitter might make her like them, and there's nothing squeezing her head.

If you're looking for something cheaper, I'd go with the clear or orange squishy silicone ear plugs. I use them when swimming because I'm prone to Swimmer's ear. Seeing as I'm profoundly deaf in one ear and severely deaf in the other, I can't attest to how well they reduce sound, but I believe the package says it reduces 28dB.
    Xandra
    DD1, 12yrs, 75lbs, 4'0"-Harmony Cruz
    DD2, 3yrs, 40lbs, 3'4" -RF RXT
    FD1 & 2, 2yrs-RF RXT's