CHEAP convertible car seat to RF on plane?

jgoi

LO is going to my IL's for a month in August and I bought him his own plane seat. We have a britax marathon 70 though. I have no problem having to carry it around the airports, we got a cart to put it on so I can use it like his stroller. But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to RF it on the plane? I don't mind if I have to FF on the plane, but if I can RF it would seem like I can take care of him better anyway (besides a couple other things).

So, would I be able to use my car seat we have now to RF on the plane? Does it have to not be reclined to do so? If not, what cheap car seat that's really easy to install (I don't want to play around with it on the airplane) could I do that with? I don't want to spend a small fortune since we're probably not going to use this car seat except for plane rides, and we don't take too many plane trips, and we don't have a big budget.

He's going to be 15 months old when we leave. He's currently 13 months old. 30.5" tall, 24lbs 3oz, and his butt to shoulder height was between 10" and 11"

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't forward-face a kid under 2 on the plane, personally. The Marathon 70 should fit, though, but it might be more comfortable for you to sit next to a skinnier seat. Up to you.

jgoi

Thank you.

Right now there's no one sitting in front of us for a few rows, but we don't leave until the 25th of July. So cross my fingers no one sits there. 2 of the flights (out of 3) there's only 2 seats next to each other so I won't mind the bigger seat next to me. I figure if 1 person books a window seat in front of us and no one next to them and they want to lean back then they can move over because LO is going next to the window since I don't want to be stuck in my seat (I'm sure I can't put him in the aisle seat anyway).

BTW, so much for bulkhead. I booked these about 100 day in advance and bulkhead was already taken (or I'd have to pay $29 more per ticket for bulkhead, no thanks).

I also bought the plane tickets to go get him in September, that's over 100 days out, all those flights the bulkhead is taken too. I did find a row on the way home on 1 of 2 flights that has a gap in front of it so I booked those seats.

krasota

The flight attendants will only let you install the seat next to a window, anyhow. If you had two children in carseats, they might let you install those seats side by side and yourself on the aisle, but you're not allowed to wall yourself in. Also, don't fret about the bulkhead seats as the armrests don't come up and some carseats can be difficult to squeeze in there, depending on the model of the plane and width of the seats.

I've ended up in bulkhead when the plane was changed. Luckily, the Scenera fit on both planes. I don't know if I'd have been able to install DS' Blvd there. One of the fits was rather tight.

oliviacw

jgoi said:
BTW, so much for bulkhead. I booked these about 100 day in advance and bulkhead was already taken (or I'd have to pay $29 more per ticket for bulkhead, no thanks).

I also bought the plane tickets to go get him in September, that's over 100 days out, all those flights the bulkhead is taken too.

these days, the bulkhead seats are often reserved for frequent flyers with high-end status, so it's virtually impossible for ordinary travelers to get them unless you pay a lot or get lucky just before boarding.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Bulkhead are often no good for car seats anyway-on many flights they are too narrow for car seats because the armrests don't move. Not to mention you can't have your diaper bag down with you, it has to be stowed above...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC