Question just wondering.. um how did someone manage this?

Just walked out of Walmart, and as I was strolling to my car, trying to be sneaky about glancing at everyone's carseats as I walked passed :)p) I noticed someone with a Chase LX installed RF..... um what?

Just thought you all could use a little mind-bender. I walked away wondering if I was seeing things, but I looked at the shell (because of course I could see it all because they had the darn thing in the car backwards??) and harness and it was definitely a chase.. It had the odd front-adjust. These are the moments when I wish I had a helmet camera on all the time.. it was literally almost vertical in the seat, you'd think they'd get a clue when the child is sitting like they're strapped to a jet pack in the back seat, but apparently not. I know most parents don't know all there is to know about CPS, but it says on the box, FORWARD facing car seat? All the belt paths say forward facing? The slots are waaay too high for a "conventional" RF child.. Can't imagine the weird contraptions you techs see.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

ADS

Shanora

LOL, gotta love that. My husband tried to convince me when I was pg with our second that he could just turn my oldests Eddie Bower Child/Booster around and use it FFing. When I told him it was a FFing seat only, he's like well I can make it rf.... LMAO

katymyers

Gotta love the things people come up with. At the hospital I work at when I take patients that have discharged from our NICU or occasionally new mommies and their babies from our post-partum ward I see all kinds of wonky stuff. The most common one is the base being installed backwards, they literally have the seatbelt looped all the way around the base and have no clue their infant seat is supposed to be rear facing. Um really?

erind

Today I sold DS's toddler bed on craigslist. The woman who bought it had a child about 3 in the front seat in just a seatbelt. There was a harnesses seat in the backseat so I thought maybe she was just there while they were waiting on me. We got the bed in her car and she drove off with the child still in the front. Got on the freeway like that too.

erind said:
Today I sold DS's toddler bed on craigslist. The woman who bought it had a child about 3 in the front seat in just a seatbelt. There was a harnesses seat in the backseat so I thought maybe she was just there while they were waiting on me. We got the bed in her car and she drove off with the child still in the front. Got on the freeway like that too.

I don't know what I would have done... may have vomited..

Kat_Momof3

hey, you know, for everyone that complains about adjusting a rearfacing harness, that adjuster is one I'd LOVE to see on a rearfacing seat... kid can't adjust it and no matter how upright you install it, it won't interfere with adjusting.

anyone wanna try to convince evenflo?

Kat_Momof3 said:
hey, you know, for everyone that complains about adjusting a rearfacing harness, that adjuster is one I'd LOVE to see on a rearfacing seat... kid can't adjust it and no matter how upright you install it, it won't interfere with adjusting.

anyone wanna try to convince evenflo?

I'd be in on that crusade!

Kat_Momof3

oh, and it helps keep the kid from pushing down the chest clip! again, I'd like to see it on their rearfacing seats, I really would... I just need techs to harass evenflo at events!... hehe.

Kat_Momof3 said:
oh, and it helps keep the kid from pushing down the chest clip! again, I'd like to see it on their rearfacing seats, I really would... I just need techs to harass evenflo at events!... hehe.

I'll be a tech soon and I have a big mouth, I'd be happy to harass for a good cause :p

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I saw a combo seat just like just described. I left a note. Not sure if it made any difference.

Judi said:
I saw a combo seat just like just described. I left a note. Not sure if it made any difference.

I was honest to God about to write on the back of a receipt and tape it to the window:

"please read your car seat manual. This seat is not to be used rear-facing. Contact your nearest fire dept. and they will install it securely for you.

sincerely

The Car Seat Ghost "

Not that I know of personally, but I've heard many parents say that they have been directed to Kids In Safe Seats (local tech group) from there, and if I didn't have the number off hand I would just say call the fire dept, so atleast they'd have some direction.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The problem is that many fire departments don't have techs AND don't know where to find them. If I were going to leave a note, I'd leave the website for the tech locator, or even direct people here or something, unless I knew of a local resource for sure.

LISmama810 said:
The problem is that many fire departments don't have techs AND don't know where to find them. If I were going to leave a note, I'd leave the website for the tech locator, or even direct people here or something, unless I knew of a local resource for sure.

This is true, I feel like I should have the local tech numbers written on a post-it note in my car "just in case" the car seat ghost decides to leave a note on someone's window. I hate to be that invasive but there are so many people who just don't know they've done it wrong or how inherently risky it is to do it the way they have, so maybe I'll luck out and put a note on a receptive person's car :)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC