Motorized Bicycles

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's hard to tell for sure but I don't see any pedals. Do you?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

CTPDMom

itzmeigh said:
I'd call that a Moped. And I'd call this a motorized bike.

As a matter of fact, if you google "motorized bike" it leads you to the style in my link.

She's talking about the legal definitions she linked.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No pedals. And yes, I'm looking to see if that would fall under the legal definition of a moped or motorized bike.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Here is the definition from the thingy I linked.

What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

So I guess whether it's technically a moped or a motorized bike (or both) is irrelevant as long as it is indeed at least one of them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Totally serial-posting on my own thread. Sorry, me.

Looks like it does matter in a way, because a moped (or motorized bike without pedals) requires a driver's license, whereas the other type of motorized bike only requires that you be 16.

At the same time it's irrelevant to ME, because I just need back-up on telling my 7-year-old why he can't ride it.

But I want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting, so if someone reads it differently, let me know.

4boysmom

To me it looks like it is a thingee designed for an over 16 yo. the only way it woudl be for a younger person is if it could be called a "motor scooter".... but whoa wait... "motor scooters" you even have to be 16 for. That means all the preteen/young teens I see with motorized razor scooters are in violation of the law.... hmmmm

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I was surprised about the motorized scooter thingy. Even if the laws about motorized scooters weren't equally as strict, I don't think this would meet the criteria to be called one. It's clearly meant to be ridden sitting down. The seat isn't incidental.

I, uh, will ignore the fact that every single person who DID ride it was in violation of at least one law. :whistle:

CTPDMom

If it's under 150ccs and has no pedals, it seems like it falls under none of those categories.

If it's not street legal, you can only ride on private property with parental permission.

You don't really need any of this, though, only to learn the phrase 'No, because I said so.'. The end.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Where did you get that, Coleen?

And yeah, I already used the "because I said so," which was fine, but then I googled it just for fun, because I figured CA would have some kind of law on it. It'll come in handy if he ever starts whining about it again.

CTPDMom

A motorcycle is a vehicle whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters and has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider...

So it's not a motorcycle.

And in the next section, both are defined as having pedals. So it doesn't seem it fits into either of those.

Standby for the rest...

Ok, it's most likely a motorized scooter, which does require a driver's license.

Although you don't really stand to drive that thing you pictured.

And in that case, it doesn't fall under any of those categories (if it's 150ccs or less) so then maybe it's classified as a pocket bike which is not road legal.

CTPDMom

LISmama810 said:
No, 406(a) has pedals OR doesn't have pedals and is powered only by electricity.

It's not gas powered? That was my assumption.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh. Hmm. I actually don't know. I don't think so though. It's really quiet and I don't think there's any kind of exhaust-thingy. Would there be an exhaust-thingy?

CTPDMom

LISmama810 said:
Oh. Hmm. I actually don't know. I don't think so though. It's really quiet and I don't think there's any kind of exhaust-thingy. Would there be an exhaust-thingy?

I think so! LOL

If it's electric, then it's 406a which requires a DOT helmet AND a driver's license...

I'm pretty sure. LOL

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Crud! I went to thank you then realized I couldn't. Did this get moved or did I post it in the wrong place? (I thought I put it in General Car Seat, because although it doesn't have to do with car seats, per se, it does have to do with children on motor vehicles. Maybe I should have put it in Special Needs/Other Transport.)

Well. Anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd have put it in car seat chat.

You can rep her, and tell her it's you doing it in the thread. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC