Should I get a Marathon?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm going to need a new seat for DS2 in our secondary vehicle pretty soon. I have a MyRide sitting around, but I don't like the way it works with him. (The straps are hard to tighten, and I think he needs to be up another slot before they'll work the way I want them to, and that won't happen for a long time.)

I don't particularly like Britax convertibles because I feel they're overpriced for what you get. There are other seats that do the same for less, blah blah blah. But they do install easily, and they're comfy, and...I want a cow.

I have wanted a Cowmoo seat for years. I figured I'd get DD a cow Frontier when the time comes, but that's another year away, at least, and she's not a "cow" kid.

DS2 is tall and skinny, so I know a Marathon won't last forever, but I'll have Radians he can use later.

Incidentally, this would be for DH's truck, and he hates the Cowmooflage.

So. Should I do it?

ADS

djma

I would get an older one, IMO. DD is a peanut (34" at 34 months) and has hardly any growing room in the newer Britax seats.

If he's tall in torso, I would look here or somewhere for an older marathon to get more time. If he's leggy, then a newer one might work.

My DH doesn't like cowmoo either, but he'd get over it. LOL :p

crunchierthanthou

I don't particularly like Britax convertibles because I feel they're overpriced for what you get. There are other seats that do the same for less, blah blah blah. But they do install easily, and they're comfy, and...I want a cow.

I do like the current Britax convertibles (as long as I can find a good sale ;)). I know they don't last as long as others, but I like the combination of rf tether with their convenience and comfort features. I'd rather install a Britax than just about any other convertible.

Chely7425

I saw go for it!! But I may not be the best person to ask since I keep seriously contemplating selling my TFP for a second BV...

christineka

If that's what you want, go for it! I had a marathon for the cow (and then some other covers). I sold when it was no longer useful for my kids. Just buy it at a great deal.

bnsnyde

You need a cow! They are only little once...go for it.

The new energy management stuff is pretty cool, too.

If anyone asks if they need a certain carseat, I can always find an excuse, especially for such a good seat!

Now that I think about it, are there seats that do the same? If the Foonf crumple zone only works FF, then I wouldn't give up my RF Advocate for all the Foonfs in the world! So it won't last forever, but nothing does, right? RF tether, steel bars, energy management base, deep sides, easy harness, SICT option...love it!

Easy install is a non issue for me because I have no reason to take the seats out. But I have fun reinstalling in Nana's car, especially after the carwash people took the seats out. And latch is really easy with my seat but I heard different opinions about seatbelt installs. So who knows.

soccer_widow

I bought a BV mainly for the Livia cover, andrhe ease of install. I figure I can use it for a couple of years and sell it. I have 2 Radians to pass down to my girls, so I'm not worried about it's longevity.

ETA: not Livia, the purple floral one- Caitlin??

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You need a cow! They are only little once...go for it.

The new energy management stuff is pretty cool, too.

If anyone asks if they need a certain carseat, I can always find an excuse, especially for such a good seat!

Now that I think about it, are there seats that do the same? If the Foonf crumple zone only works FF, then I wouldn't give up my RF Advocate for all the Foonfs in the world! So it won't last forever, but nothing does, right? RF tether, steel bars, energy management base, deep sides, easy harness, SICT option...love it!

Easy install is a non issue for me because I have no reason to take the seats out. But I have fun reinstalling in Nana's car, especially after the carwash people took the seats out. And latch is really easy with my seat but I heard different opinions about seatbelt installs. So who knows.

The foonf has energy management base design too. The Britax Safe Cell technology is for ff only as well, so same deal there.

Jennie, having seen your kids' torsos, I probably would choose a Classic if you're going for a Britax, and trade for a cow cover, because I doubt you'd get much if any use of it ff anyway, he'd be so young when he outgrew rf in a new Britax...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmm. How does the shell of the new gen compare to the MyRide? They're comparable, aren't they? I don't need it to last him until 4 because like I said, I'll have Radians (and maybe a foonf?!) to pass down. If I can get two years out of it (or until he's 2.5) I'd consider it sufficient. I have no plans to use it FF.

T4K

I'd say the MyRide has a good inch to inch and a half on the new gen Britax seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, as I recall it's a bit shorter than the MyRide. (And because of shape, ends up with even less room than it "should" for most kids.) The Classic is a bit taller. So if you're not using it FF either way, why not get the one that will last longer RF, is my thinking.

jjordan

I think the fit depends a bit on personal experience. When the second gen seats first came out, I tried my dd in one, along with a bunch of other seats (including an FPSVD - same shell as original Marathon). She was exactly at the RF height limit for the FPSVD, MA70, and MyRide. She had a touch of growing room (by height) in the EFTA. (I think I tried a couple of other seats too but can't remember which ones.)

Kobain's Mommy

I wasn't sure but got it anyways, but we love our MA70. DS is 24 months and 36"ish. I'm not sure on his torso but is more legs and is on the 3rd click in the MA70. DS likes to curl his legs into himself (he sleeps in a ball) or throws them over the sides.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC