Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Which seat for airplane and rental car?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Radian

10 34.48%
  • Roundabout 55

12 41.38%
  • Complete Air LX

5 17.24%
  • Other

2 6.90%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poll - Which seat for travel?

I'm not planning a trip. I'm just bored and this is on my mind.

Now that my daughter is close enough to outgrowing the CCO's RF limits that it's unlikely we'll fly again before she's too big...

Let's assume for a second that we were taking a plane trip and renting a mid-sized car at the other end. Which of the following car seats should I take on the plane?

Radian (probably the 80SL)
    Roundabout 55
    Complete Air LX (SE)
    Other (buy a seat specifically for travel - which one?)

I'm assuming at the moment that we'll fly again sometime before she turns to FF. But she's plenty old/big enough to FF on the plane as far as I'm concerned. If your answer would change among these seats once she's FF in the car, I'd love to know why.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Complete Air

Complete Air

Complete Air

Have I mentioned I like the CA for travel? I do. I love it. I am very vocal about hating the Radian for travel, and no I'm not out of shape or wimpy. I dislike carrying it like a backpack because I don't enjoy the seat smacking against my legs and back as I walk. I hate how it installs, I hate lugging it, I hate it's folding metal guts. The CA was a breeze to travel with and installed like a dream on the plane and let my kid recline nicely so she could sleep on our 2 am flight out of here.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

CPS Fanatic
    It would depend on who was with me. I know the radian sits perfectly in my bjcm so I'd likely do that combo.

Re: Poll - Which seat for travel?

If we had the whole family with us (two teenage boys) and needed to squeeze all three kids in the back seat of an unknown rental car, would that make a difference? I don't think they'd be able to buckle in the back of my Civic if I had the CA in there. They're uncomfortable with the RA55. The CCO and the Radian are the only convertibles they don't mind sitting next to in that car. But then again most back seats are wider than the Civic. Even two more inches would make a difference.

So, Anna... what you're saying is that you don't much care for taking the Radian on an airplane. Is that right?

Jessica - We probably would not travel with a stroller at this point. DD hates riding in a stroller anyway. We'd probably pack her "leash" and her structured backpack for carrying. More likely we'd use a rolling luggage cart. I've thought about grabbing a Go Go Kidz Travelmate if I find one cheap enough on NBD or CL or something. Because I'd have to buy a luggage cart anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigala

So, Anna... what you're saying is that you don't much care for taking the Radian on an airplane. Is that right?
    I might have said something to that effect

I can't see the CA making much difference. I put it in my BIL's Focus with an adult and a Coccoro, and a Coccoro and a Turbo.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I don't like the base on the CA LX for airplanes and many cars, and I actually LOVE the Radian for travel once kids are 2 (over 2 I FF on the plane so I can put stuff on the tray for them, etc., but RF in the car to the limits.)

So, I said Radian, though I know Anna hates it for travel. LOL. I personally have had pretty much nothing but good experiences with it.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

The CA worked really well on the planes we were on (4 of them, all Alaska Airlines jets) as i could recline it. I prefer the base to the ones without the base since there's no worry about needing noodles or anything. Of course, I'm a rule breaker and install it more upright than the level to ground line.

CPS Fanatic

For travel we used the Scenera and after that they have to FF for travel as we can't carry anything heavy. So the Scenera doesn't get them to even age 3 in all cases but usually close.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    The CA worked really well on the planes we were on (4 of them, all Alaska Airlines jets) as i could recline it. I prefer the base to the ones without the base since there's no worry about needing noodles or anything. Of course, I'm a rule breaker and install it more upright than the level to ground line.
    I do too, but I prefer without the base all around. I rfed one without the base on Southwest. I don't find it onerous to pack a towel in my carry-on or packed luggage. I just really hate that base, especially when space may be at a premium in the car on the other end.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    I'm one who pink-sparkly-hearts the Radian for travel.

Senior Community Member

I also love the Radian for travel. I usually just use the backpack straps (I don't have a problem with it bouncing off my butt/legs?). I like that I can wear dd2 on my front and have the Radian on my back and still have my hands free for my older two if needed.

I have also used the Radian with a luggage cart and that is fine too, though I hate having to take it on and off to get through security and stuff. I will miss how lightweight the Coccoro is but I don't think DD2 will be able to rear face i it i August so we will probably be taking the Radian, FFing on the plane and RFing in the car.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

I suspected we'd see a lot of different opinions. This is cool.

Anna - You need to go cast your vote for the CA when you get a chance. You're losing in the polls.

I wonder who voted for the RA55 and for what reasons. I know it's a serious contender for me because it's the most "compatible" for a rental car - or even a taxi - on the other end. With both the CA and the Radian there's some risk that it may just simply not work in a given random vehicle. I may be willing to sacrifice the best seat for the plane in order to be nearly guaranteed easy compatibility in the car.

Has anybody had any problems with the airplane buckle poking the child in the back when installed FF on the plane? I would expect this to be a problem on a Radian and maybe the CA (I haven't installed the CA FF in so long I can't remember where the belt path is; and I've never installed the RA55 FF so I don't even know about that one).

CPS Fanatic
    I'm voting Roundabout for the ease of install in an unknown rental vehicle.

Carseat Crazy
    RN! We used it last month for dd & it worked great. We had backpack straps on it & a ghetto traveling toddler (four large key rings). Dh would carry it short distances, but we would put it on our carry on for longer distances.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

I can't vote from my phone, darn it!

The first time we flew with the Radian, DH took dd to Chicago without me, and she complained the whole time. He ended up letting the straps way out and stuffing a blanket behind her do the buckle didn't poke her. I haven't had complaints since then.

I would use a Scenera and then FF in a Maestro (these are the spares we have and I would use them if we flew). Cheap and light. Since you have a CA I would probably use that.
    Julia CPST and Mom to 6 crazy kids:
    Megan (13), Kayla (11), Jamie (9), Ian (7), Emi (6), and Clare (2)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey
    And Our Angel Baby Aiden 8/26-27/15

Interesting!

I didn't realize how close the voting would be. We have 5 each for Radian and Roundabout so far, and 3 for the Complete Air (which would be 4 if Anna could vote from her phone ).

It kinda goes to show that there's not always "one right answer," huh?

Carseat Crazy

I will never fly with a Radian again! I hated traveling with it that much. I've flown with Britax seats, but they're heavy and awkward, though less of a pain than the RN. Of your choices, I'd fly with the Complete Air, but I also would install it rfing more upright than the sticker, so I don't worry much abt incompatibility.

We fly with Avenues; my FAVE travel seat. They're lightweight, narrow, and easy to use. I do bring noodles in my carry-on, but I can install without them. If DH installs, he is more comfy with the noodles, so we bring them.
    K (9/07) 65 lbs, 55" & E (7/09) 60lbs, 51", GHD / bone age delay
    2017 Subaru WRX: K - Olli, E - Vivo
    2014 Subaru Forester: K - Recaro Performance Booster, E - FF Britax Frontier
    Other Cars/Travel: K - Incognito, E - HBTB w/SS
    Xtra Seats we don't use anymore: RSTV, CARES, 2nd Britax Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
    I will never fly with a Radian again! I hated traveling with it that much. I've flown with Britax seats, but they're heavy and awkward, though less of a pain than the RN. Of your choices, I'd fly with the Complete Air, but I also would install it rfing more upright than the sticker, so I don't worry much abt incompatibility.

Carseat Crazy

I say roundabout. I have flown with my son's Marathon more then I care to count and it is super easy to install on the plane. Plus, since we never know what kind of car we are getting, having something easy to install is a plus! Just ask for a seat belt extender on the plane. It makes it so much easier both ff and rf.