How can i convince a mom to keep their 12 mo old RF?

Michelle

She is on my birth board and mentioned that her daughter isnt 20 lbs yet so shes all sad because she has to wait to turn her FF. She just turned a yr old a few days ago and I told her that it was so much safer to keep her RR...she replied with this:

I have a 2 door Blazer right now and you don't know how much of a PITA it is to get both girls in and out of it. I really need to turn her around. And woe be the person who hits that big tin can, they will be the one hurt.

We talk a lot online id like to try and get her to keep her daughter rr...what should i say?

ADS

chicagodawn

Hi, I am not a tech, just a recent lurker who has come out of lurker-dom:)

But as a mom who knew little about carseats (I first bought a Triumph, then later a roundabout because I vaguely knew Britax was good:D), what made the most impact for me was the NBC/MSNBC article indicating that death rates can be up to 4 times higher for kids forwarding facing before the age of two.

That article did it for me, and was the start of my carseat addiction. Since it is from such a "mainstream" source, maybe that will help convince your friend? to me, it is impossible to argue with the fact that your child is four times more likely to die in certain crashes when forward facing.

Here is the link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

good luck!!

Dawn

Ben 6-15-04
Susanna 2-13-07

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
1st of all, the Blazer has horrible crash test ratings! If ever a kid needed to stay RF longer, it's a kid in a Blazer :eek::( Feel free to share my "Newborn -- Preschool" page with her (from my website) & explain that it was written by a mama who was inspired to become a tech after learning how unsafe my Blazer was ... a mama with a chronic health condition who found RF quite easy for her toddler & I'd be more than happy to chat with her :whistle: (contact info: "Resources/Requests")

SPJ&E

The way I figure it...if I can keep both of my boys rear-facing in huge Britax Marathons in my tiny 2-door Cavalier...just about anyone can keep their kids rear-facing.

No offense to anyone, lol...but I really HATE that excuse..."my car is too small". I know all about having a small car. I have to climb over the rear-facing tethers to get in the backseat and sit between the carseats to buckle them in.

They are both over 1 year old AND 20 lbs. Would it be more convenient for me to turn them around, absolutely! Am I going to, absolutely not! Their safety is a million times more important than my convenience.

Okay, I'm done, lol!

littleangelfire

The way I figure it...if I can keep both of my boys rear-facing in huge Britax Marathons in my tiny 2-door Cavalier...just about anyone can keep their kids rear-facing.

No offense to anyone, lol...but I really HATE that excuse..."my car is too small". I know all about having a small car. I have to climb over the rear-facing tethers to get in the backseat and sit between the carseats to buckle them in.

They are both over 1 year old AND 20 lbs. Would it be more convenient for me to turn them around, absolutely! Am I going to, absolutely not! Their safety is a million times more important than my convenience.

Okay, I'm done, lol!

Yes YES! I have a 2 door Honda Civic, to get my son in rear facing, I actually found it easier to climb into the backseat through my driver's side door and sit him there. I, too, sat in the middle to get him buckled most of the time. When my son was a year old, I had vaguely heard something about leaving them rear facing until they're too big for the seat, but it didn't seem all that important (at the time) to do so, so I turned him a month or two after his birthday, the first opportunity I felt like actually turning his Triumph around, lol. However, at 12-13 months, my son was already 24-26lbs. so it wasn't the easiest thing in the world. But putting in a forward facing child has a whole new set of issues. When you place a child rear facing in their seat, I find they kind of naturally end up sitting correctly. For the longest time when I put my 1-2 year old in his FF seat, he slouched too much (lack of recline, maybe?) and I had to either climb in to push his booty to the back of the seat, or try and do it while standing outside the car stretching my arms in. NEITHER was very easy! Puts all the pressure in my back and hurt like heck. Now that he's older, I tell him to put his booty to the back and I dont' have to do it anymore. :D So FF in a 2 door has its issues, too, and how much easier it might have been to RF in something bigger...like what she has.
Amy

Tiffanie

My DH had a 2-door Blazer too and my DD was rf, no problem. Actually we used his vehicle more often until I got my van when my DD was born. So sorry it's "such a PITA" to keep her kid alive if she was ever in an accident. grrr

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC