Britax harness never expires?

christineka

This goes against all that I've read, but someone called and asked. The britax rep told this person that their harnesses never expire, so she was fine putting a harness from an expired seat onto a not expired seat and using it. Anyone heard differently from britax? Or the same? I'd like to know what is really true.

ADS

jordansmom

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well. I've seen people selling Britax harness sets and was wondering how someone would know if/when they expire if it doesn't match the date of the seat they are putting them on.

It doesn't seem right that they wouldn't expire :confused:.

skaterbabs

Um, that would be a NO. I would strongly discourage using an expired harness. Besides, the Britax CS reps have a reputation for saying things that are not always accurate.

cryswilkins

All of the harness straps have a DOM on them, I would be on the safe side and go by 6 years from the DOM.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have always gone by the DOM on the harness. the reps really need to not give bad answers about SAFETY equipment!

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
You'd think they would take great care that their reps are giving out accurate, consistent answers to customers. Like even to the point of having a script book to use in response to common questions.

Do they record their calls for quality assurance?

It would disintegrate over time. Just like anything else. There is a white tag on the harness with an "06,08" etc year written on it. I would follow the 6 year rule. They are, like all car seat parts, used a lot and under strenuous conditions, so yes, they absolutely DO expire. If you pull on an old piece of rope hard enough, it will snap ten times easier than when it was new, same concept with harness material. they become old and brittle over time, especially if cleaned improperly.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I saw the same post on the other site and thought the same thing - that it was probably a wrong answer from the Britax rep. I would never use a harness from an expired car seat. Cover, locking clip (if applicable), sure. Maybe even a chest clip in a pinch. But not much else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC