Britax B Safe

cookie123

Has anyone used one? I kind of got in on helping some parents put their baby in one to take home. They had the foam infant insert in there but on top of the cover. The fit was ridiculous. With the foam in there, the crotch buckle was almost below his crotch. The edges of the buckle tongues were digging into his legs. On the up side, the harness was at his shoulders. He was little, I don't know his weight - I wasn't caring for him. The foam didn't look quite the same as the one in the picture in the manual. I suggested trying it without but the mom didn't want to, as he was tested with it in.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Foam insert? Like the one in the Chaperone and you can get for the convertibles? I don't think the B-safe has that. I've helped with a few, and I'm fairly certain it doesn't come in the box.

Stelvis

You can't use the foam insert with the B Safe. It's for the next gen convertibles only.

The bottom slot is super low though. I can't imagine a 5 lb plus baby not fitting in it. I had to take out the gray support pad in order to make it big enough to take DD home from the hospital. With the pad in, the straps were so low they were sliding down her shoulders.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
You're talking about the actual foam insert? Like the curved gray or pale green piece of foam for under the cover? Not like a body support pillow or anything? Because yeah, that's not supposed to be in the B Safe at all.

ktbug87

The chaperone comes with the foam infant insert, but I'm not sure about the B-safe. My little guy was 6lbs 12 oz when he came home from the hospital, and he was way too big for the insert.

cryswilkins

The B-safe doesn't come with the low birth weight foam. I am not sure if it's even approved for the seat. The dot insert can be put under the babies bottom to boost them up, it has a little stitch mark so it folds nice.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

cookie123

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't the B Safe? It was a Britax. And how to use the foam piece was in the manual - I think page 26? The parents told me it came with the seat. They had previously told me they got the B Safe. Maybe not. I didn't notice on the manual what seat it said.

Okay, I went to the Britax manuals and the B Safe says nothing about it. It must have been a Chaperone, but the info was not on page 26. It was 53. It looked like the same exact info. It was almost at the bottom of the contents where the one I saw was not. Does the B Safe have actual harness slots?

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

Hmm. Maybe it wasn't the B Safe? It was a Britax. And how to use the foam piece was in the manual - I think page 26? The parents told me it came with the seat. They had previously told me they got the B Safe. Maybe not. I didn't notice on the manual what seat it said.

Okay, I went to the Britax manuals and the B Safe says nothing about it. It must have been a Chaperone, but the info was not on page 26. It was 53. It looked like the same exact info. It was almost at the bottom of the contents where the one I saw was not. Does the B Safe have actual harness slots?

Yes, actual harness slots. The Chaperone comes with the foam insert and has a sliding harness.

cookie123

Yes, it must have been a Chaperone. When the baby was first born the parents told me they got a Britax. I asked if it was the B Safe, because it's the only one sold around here. They said yes, but they probably didn't know. I never took care of their baby again in the month he was there. But I happened to be in the room when he was in the seat getting ready to leave. I wish I could have snapped a photo.

I advised them to call Britax and email them a photo. We put the insert in correctly, which it already was, just on top of the cover and this didn't help at all. Dad wanted to cut the insert! Really I couldn't envision what he had in mind. I wouldn't let him. We 'fixed' it by frogging up his legs a bit which helped and they were satisfied that they could at least go home.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
IME, the low birthweight foam in the Chaperone only works for the tiny babies. The seat adjusts so small even without it that it really is only needed for those itty-bitties that are being discharged early.

It's rated for infants 4-11 pounds, but I think it's really only useful for the low end of that scale. I have a Chaperone and recently made the mistake of leaving the foam in when buckling in my 8lb niece, and the fit was terrible, just like you said, the crotch buckle way too low and straps digging into her legs. She was not happy with me!

Could you do a follow-up phone call with them and encourage them to remove the foam at home and see how he fits? Unless he is under 6 lbs, they will probably find it improves the fit and his comfort significantly to take it out.

cookie123

I'm pretty sure he's under 5 lbs. I have no business in his chart, so have no way of getting in touch. I'll have to check if I can. The plastic parts that go around the straps - with the buckle tongues on them - are digging in to his legs significantly. Mom said at car seat eval that they tried the crotch buckle in the outer setting to see if improved the fit and the harness was going over his knees. So they put it back the way it belonged. Is the insert required under 11 lbs?

crunchierthanthou

No, not required at all. It's optional 4-11 lbs. It's the Chicco one that's required to 11 lbs.

The Chaperone manual does say to always use the inner crotch buckle position when using the foam.

cookie123

Yes, I remembered it said to use the inner crotch slot with the insert. And not to use past 11 lbs. But not if it was required!

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of them at all. I did want to try it without the foam, but they insisted it stay in as that's how he was tested.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC