School me/Sell me on your minivan!

MonkeysMom615

DH is looking at getting an Odyssey (used) but hasn't looked at any other brands. This will be his vehicle but I'd drive it occasionally. We're planning on going out this weekend to possibly purchase. My friend has an older Windstar that she adores. We want pretty basic and the only things we absolutely want are cloth seats (no leather) and power doors. So school me on minivans! :)

I'm on my phone. You know the "typo" spiel.

ADS

jjordan

Approximate budget? We recently bought a 2008 Kia Sedona and I love it so far. I wanted an 8-passenger, but the only options were 8-pass Siennas (which are hard to come by here) and 8-pass Odysseys, which were a lot pricier than the Sedonas.

ed_tricia

I have a 2004 8 pass sienna and I love it! We've had it almost a year. Every time we take a trip longer than 10 miles or have to load anything, I mention how much I like it. For us, the 3 across the second row is so nice! We only have two kids, but they can sit side by side and their is plenty of comfortable space for a parent. That is so valuable on road trips! Plus, if we have a 3rd at some point, we have the option of keeping all of them close by.
It has a ton of cargo room also. We just took a 5 day trip and all our luggage, including a stroller and a mealtime booster, didn't even come close to reaching the top of the back seat. We've actually even folded the 3rd row flat, removed the second row seats, and all slept in it. We fit a giant rolling toolbox even with the second row in use, and we've also had a ladder in there. My husband has loaded a mattress and box spring in it.
The only thing I don't like is the downgrade in mpg. I used to drive a little car. I get about 18 in town (big city, kajillion traffic lights) and 24-25 on the highway.

Kel

I have a 03 windstar we bought brand new. We've had no issues in the 8.5yrs I've drove it. Tethers all over, and 4 sets of latch. My sisters had two and loved them both.

Kel

silverstar91579

I have a dodge caravan I absolutely love it is wonderful. I have four girls 14, 12, 10 and almost 4 and I would not recommend power closing doors though because 3 yrs ago when out test driving vans before purchasing this one my daughter was almost a yr old and while on the dealership parking lot the sales man was showing us the way the doors close and my daughter stuck her hand in it right at the last moment and her hand was smashed until it finished locking then she still had to wait a few seconds for it to reset before it would open back up

valleyfam

I have a 03 windstar we bought brand new. We've had no issues in the 8.5yrs I've drove it. Tethers all over, and 4 sets of latch. My sisters had two and loved them both.

Kel

I have an 01 Windstar we bought in 03. 193,000 miles and she's still going strong. I told dh last night she and I are going for 300,000 together. It is seriously the only thing I've ever driven that never left me on the side of the road. The one time I had to do any thing serious with it - it literally limped home on three cylinders with me and three kids. DH had to but a new coil pack on it that was around 175000. I know some others on here are not Windstar fans but mine has served me well and is a dream to install seats in!

April

Also love my windstar. This is my second one, and if I upgrade, it'll probably be to a freestar for lower mileage because I love them so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

chrislynn5

I bought my 2011 VW van with only 11,000 miles for only $21,000! It has 3 dvd players, power everything!! It even has an automatic start! It's loaded with space! I have 5 kids (all in carseats)and we fit comfortable in it with all our luggage & big dog in a soft crate! We take a road trip EVERY weekend to my parents house which is an hour and a half away! My husband has a Tahoe and we rarely use it for family driving. It's to high for the kids to climb in and out and it doesn't have enough storage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC