Buy car seats in USA?

U

Unregistered

Are car seats sold in the USA different that the ones in Canada?
The prices are much cheaper in the USA. Can I buy a car seat from the USA and use it in Canada?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
No, you can not. Not all seats sold in the US are the same as the ones in Canada, even if they look the same.

They also do not have the Canadian stickers on them, which is a pretty hefty fine and spot checks are starting to happen more frequently now.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
No, you can not. Not all seats sold in the US are the same as the ones in Canada, even if they look the same.

They also do not have the Canadian stickers on them, which is a pretty hefty fine and spot checks are starting to happen more frequently now.

:yeahthat:
It is illegal to buy and use a US seat in Canada for Canadian citizens. Transport Canada claims that the Canadian seats ungo different tests then the US seats. Canada also has some seats that have a higher weight limit then the US seats do so something must be different there.

I've heard that you can also void your vehicle's insurance in an accident if you have a US seat :rolleyes:

Also at the seat check I am going to on the weekend, if we find a seat that does not have the CDN sticker on it the seat will be taken away and they will be given a new seat to use.

What seat are you wanting to get in the US?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've heard that you can also void your vehicle's insurance in an accident if you have a US seat :rolleyes:

This is one of those things that I'd love to know where it came from... In actuality, under the law, the negligence of the parent does not waive the child's right to a claim under their insurance policy. It would be like not salting your driveway and somebody slipping--that person isn't restricted from filing a claim simply because you neglected to salt the driveway. When you neglect to properly restrain an innocent party, THEY themselves do not waive their right to make a claim. Even though we here probably don't see extended harnessing (the reason most people used US seats up until this point) as being negligent, insurance might not see the difference as a result of the stickers.

Here in BC, however, I know ICBC replaces US seats with Canadian ones under your policy, and does not make any differentiation between a US seat or a Canadian seat having been used during a crash.. thus far.

-N.

hipmaman

This is one of those things that I'd love to know where it came from... In actuality, under the law, the negligence of the parent does not waive the child's right to a claim under their insurance policy. It would be like not salting your driveway and somebody slipping--that person isn't restricted from filing a claim simply because you neglected to salt the driveway. When you neglect to properly restrain an innocent party, THEY themselves do not waive their right to make a claim. Even though we here probably don't see extended harnessing (the reason most people used US seats up until this point) as being negligent, insurance might not see the difference as a result of the stickers.

Here in BC, however, I know ICBC replaces US seats with Canadian ones under your policy, and does not make any differentiation between a US seat or a Canadian seat having been used during a crash.. thus far.

-N.

Let's just say the onus is on the parents to check with their insurance companies if they were to consider using a non-Canadian certified carseat :)

snowbird25ca

I think what could theoretically happen is that insurer pays for injury to child, but finds the insured to be failing to apply due diligence in keeping their child safe and could potentially look to the driver personally to be reimbursed. I forget what the technical term for due diligence is called now, but it's a fancy term for doing what is good practice and common sense to the average person.

I've never actually heard anything happen like that, and I don't know what insurance laws are like in other provinces, but this is the only situation that I can see an insurer not paying for injuries to the child - although they would be paying, just turning around and claiming the amount paid back from the parent. I don't think there's ever been a precedent set for that though, and it's purely theoretical and highly unlikely.

I think the more important thing might be that the manufacturer probably wouldn't warranty the seat - and if on some chance the car seat failed, it wouldn't be under the jurisdiction of Transport Canada either because it wasn't a CMVSS stickered seat. :twocents:

Jewels

Senior Community Member

-N.

When I inquired about it in MB this is what I was told:
it depends. If car is in a crash, and child is in a US seat... and...family is making bodily injury claim for that child...then MPI will need the seat. At that time they will find the family did not secure the child in an approved device, and can refuse to pay out for bodily injury. However...with no fault insurance... the car repairs etc would still be covered. And of course.... the family dare not claim for a new seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC