Question Handout for nursery school teachers?

eddis

Wondering if anyone has a simple handout (one-pager would be ideal) that covers basics and 'best practices' for car seats, and in particular the benefits of ERF? I'm asking because I recently started using the carpool lane at DS' nursery school and twice now, the teachers who walk the kids to the cars have expressed surprise. One walked DS to the other side of the car, because she couldn't imagine a 4yo in a RF seat. Another asked if he was outgrowing his seat; when I showed her that he still had room above his head, and that he was under the weight limits, she tutted about his legs being bent.

I'm not upset about it - both teachers were quite nice about it, and in the two seconds I had, I tried to indicate that it was not only correct but safer - but it occurs to me that they see a lot of car seats, and might be in a position to influence proper usage, or at least comment on unsafe usage. If nothing else they might be able to teach the kids some simple rules - chest buckle high, can't pinch an inch, I don't know. I'd love to give them a sheet that provides food for thought. Suggestions? :)

ADS

eddis

Thank you so much! I will print it out and give it to the teachers today.

I could still wish that the flyer emphasized height/weight for RF rather than ages - I'm sure most people will just look down the left side and say "but your DS is four!" ;P - but it's a really good, simple summary. Thanks again!

ETA: I didn't see the teachers today, but already have a conference scheduled for tomorrow - I'll share it then. I also decided to print out an additional site re: Car seat myths, as it specifically addressed the whole "legs folded" thing.

http://www.newparent.com/parenting-101-featured/top-5-myths-rearfacing/

Hope that helps someone else out there! :) Thanks again!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC