Question Relocating to the UK - Recommendations for carseats

jmac30

Hello everyone - We are getting ready to relocate to the UK in July and I wanted to see about the recommendations for the best seats for 2.75 year old toddlers. Currently they are ~15k (33.5lbs)and 37" & 39" tall. They have been forward-facing for some time here in the US, so I will probably be unable to get them back rear facing - and I know I can't bring my US seats to the UK. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best FF seat for them - we also will not be purchasing a car (at least not right away) so we will be using zip cars - which have typically been BMW 3 series sedans and Audi A3 wagons.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!

ADS

newyorkDOC

The nauti is sold in Europe but only harnesses to 18kg. The only EU seat that harnesses to 25kg is the TWE. However the TWE isn't ISOFIX and I don't know if you prefer that or not.

Are you planning on adding children to the family? I wouldn't necessarily consider a Swedish seat with ERF capabilities unless you knew someone would use those features. Of course the exception is the TWE for the HWH capabilities.

MamaBerlin

jmac30: Have you heard of the impact shield seats like the Cybex Pallas? You would use the shield until the kids reach 18kg and then turn the seat into a HBB by removing the shield.

Over here it is not really recommended to use RF car seats FF. They where constructed for RF and crash tests show that impact on neck and spine is much higher than in seats solely constructed for FF use.

In your case, I would either try and get the kids back to RF (you could get seats that RF up to 25 kg), use impact shield seats (ONLY if your kids are tall enough for them - the shield should lie just at the end of their rib cage) or place them in a good HBB like the HTS BeSafe iZi Up X3 (my favorite at the moment). This last option is not really ideal for their age though, I personalle wouldn't do it before they are about 4.

However the TWE isn't ISOFIX and I don't know if you prefer that or not.
Just FYI, for any harnessed seat, RF or FF, ISOfix can only be used up to 18kg. This is due to restrictions of the ISOfix anchors.

Adventuredad

Over here it is not really recommended to use RF car seats FF. They where constructed for RF and crash tests show that impact on neck and spine is much higher than in seats solely constructed for FF use.

Not correct. Combination seats are made and approved for both RF and FF use.

One issue with forward facing seats is weight of the seat. This apply when FF seat is used with seat belt, not with harness As already stated maximum forward facing harnessed weight for all seats in Europe is 18 kg. Exception is Britax Two-Way which can be used RF and FF to 25 kg or about 6-7 years.

When a FF seat is used only with seat belt weight of the seat will increase the forward momentum in a frontal collision. As long as a dedicated booster seat and a combination seat are of the same weight there is no difference in neck or spine forces.

Regarding OP and her need of seats it's difficult since age 2.75 is way too early for forward facing IMHO. There are plenty of inexpensive EU seats which harness to 18 kg.

If you select a FF seat with harness it can likely be used in that mode for a year or so. Using a dedicated booster seat with seat belt after that would be fine. Using a booster seat with seat belt at 4+ years is just as safe as using a harnessed seat. There is no research, stats, data or real life experience showing harnessed seat is any safer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC