4WD vs 2WD

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hypothetically :whistle: if we were looking for a truck, should we get 4WD or 2WD?

This will be a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. 4WD will bump down our tow capacity slightly, but not enough that it matters.

It will add cost up-front, add cost to maintenance, and will drop fuel economy a bit.

We don't plan on off-roading, and we don't plan on driving in snowy mountains. However, we could easily unexpectedly find ourselves in situations where 4WD would be nice. I'm not sure if the POSSIBILITY of needing 4WD justifies the expense of it, though.

FWIW, we might wind up living in an area with harsh winters (but flat roads).

Thoughts?

ADS

rxmommy

Hmm, tough one. Well, we live in an area that we can not go without 4WD. My hubby can't make it to work sometimes without it. Occasionally even with it. But then again I have a coworker who lives out in the country with a stretch of gravel driveway and she only has little cars - no 4WD at all! I have no idea how she does it. We get 1" of snow and I'm scared to drive my van LOL. But I am not good at driving in ice/snow. You gotta know how to handle that, and I've definitely never learned.

I'd be tempted to go with a 2WD truck *if* you could trade it in for a 4WD vehicle if you should move somewhere. Just because the up-front cost and drop in fuel economy does add up. We had a little S-10 that DH drove to work and we ditched that because having it sit covered in snow for at least half the year hardly made sense. And then we have had an incredibly mild winter. :rolleyes:

Brianna

I live in an area with harsh winters and mostly flat roads- and I always remember my dad getting out of his truck to turn on 4WD when it started snowing and he was towing a trailer. I wouldn't bother with it if you weren't going anywhere snowy- but the snow alone would make me choose 4WD.

emntheboys

I'd go with 4WD. There were many times we would get stuck trying to pull our camper out of a muddy campground. And if you are expecting to live in a place with harsh winters, then you'll probably be glad later on that you have 4wd. Resale is also a lot better on 4wd vs 2wd trucks around here.

New grandma

I live in central MN, so mostly flat with lots of snow most years. I miss my 4WD even for going up our long uphill driveway and would definitely want it for towing if you will be in an area with regular snowfall.

It does not mean you can ignore the safety rules, or that it will help in icy conditions, but I really like it for traction in the snow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC