Help me decide on harness or booster for a trip

glockchick

I'm taking all 6 kids to visit relatives in MO this summer all by myself. It'll be about a 12 hr drive give or take.

Kaleigh Grace will be 5 yrs, 10 months old by the time we leave and she already weighs 45+ lbs.

She rides harnessed in a FR 85 with me but in a TB with her dad who has her every other week. She also rides in a booster on the rare occasion I take her somewhere in my car.

As far as I can tell, she does well in it. She's fallen asleep in her PW before and stayed in position. She sits in the 3rd row and I'm considering letting her ride in a booster simply for the ease of getting 6 kids in and out of the car. It's a lot easier if I don't have to crawl back there to buckle and unbuckle her. Yes, another kid could do it, but she prefers I do it. The boys get kinda rough with her. She can do the booster by herself or at the very least undo it.

She'd be riding in a ProBooster because it's the only thing I've found that works with the weird belt geometry back there. I don't have one, but I tried my friends and it works. I don't know if it will be tippy because I didn't try to drive with it, but I figure I'll order from Amazon and if it is I can send it back. The Oobr does too, but I don't have the money for that right now. The PW she has doesn't let the belt retract. :rolleyes:

What do you think? Would you booster her for ease of pit stops or keep her harnessed? Another plus would be that I won't have to try to pack around her tether if she's in a booster. :eek:

BUT She's one of "the babies" and I'm not sure I'm ready to let her grow up yet. :eek: Kaleigh and Caleb are 17 months apart and I still refer to them as "the babies" sometimes. lol Plus CJ might throw a fit about being harnessed if she's not. He rides in a booster with his dad so he thinks he should with me too. It helps when I can say Kaleigh's in a harness too.

ADS

melniemi

Can she buckle herself? My dd2 has been buckling herself since she was 3. She rides in a fr85 in the third row of my Yukon xl and I never have to crawl back there unless she falls asleep and I have to get her out :). Otherwise a booster is fine if she rides good in it.

glockchick

I don't know. I don't think so. She's finally gotten to the point where I can get her to put her arms in and do the chest clip while I'm buckling her brother. Before she waited for me to do everything.

I'll have her try when she gets home Friday. She's at her dad's now.

Melanie

I'd leave her harnessed because of sleeping. Do you have experience with her sleeping for extended periods of time? IME, even good booster riders may not do great while they're in a deep sleep. There's no getting out of position in a harness. My 7yo DD is a fantastic booster rider, BUT she sleeps curled up on her side so when she's really out she reverts to that and also tries to pull her legs up by her chest.

Can you start having her practice buckling the harness now? Don't adjust it and it will be easy to quickly check.

cookie123

Harness. Also you won't have to worry about her staying in position on the long ride, especially if she sleeps.

hesgimenez

I'd keep her in the FR85 and I bet she can buckle herself in-she just wants you to do it. The Regent was really hard for K to buckle-but once I realized he could do the Nautilus easily I started encouraging him to do the Regent by himself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC