Fighting insurance to replace seats

mamakc

My sil was in an accident. Someone backed into her in a parking lot. It was low speed, but she hurt her neck and her passenger hurt her neck and shoulder (she was on the side that got hit) bad enough to warrant an er visit. My niece was in the car, rf in a TFP & was fine. My dd's TB was in there, unoccupied, next to the door that got the hardest hit. After weeks of fighting with the insurance co, the adjuster won't agree to replace the car seats. Yesterday the adjuster told my sil to take the seats to the fire station to have them looked over and declared safe. We both know that is BS, but what now? How do you convince the insurance co to replace the seats when they are being unreasonable? What will actually work?

-Krista
DD~5 Monterey /youth booster
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Did you ask both mfg's to give you letters stating they cannot be reused?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

mamakc

She hasn't gone that far, but has shown the manual clearly states they need replaced. I'll put that on my list of suggestions. Thanks!

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is she near a cso tech who could do a check for her and declare them UNsafe on the basis of bring crashed? Essentially the opposite of what the adjuster wants her to do?

jacqui276

I'm surprised that just showing them the manuals where it says that they HAVE to be replaced isn't enough. I would have her contact the manufacturers and get a letter from them.

Showing the manuals was enough for me to get both of mine replaced. A fire fighter is not going to be able to tell if there are any small cracks or hidden damage to the seats by giving it a once over. Insurance companies irritate me.

mamakc

I emailed a local tech for suggestions as well.

I know I'm surprised by the trouble too. My car was hit pretty bad in a parking lot once, we weren't in the car at all, and the at fault insurance didnt even ask to see the manuals, just said, send us a receipt and leave the old ones behind.

They are giving the most grief over the unoccupied tb. I'm thankful my sil is a fighter :)

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Dmcj13

I have heard that asking the insurance company to sign a waiver taking full responsibility should the seats fain in a subsequent accident usually does the trick.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC