Saved by the Belt Campaign

longstocking

I'm reading an article in UT they are doing a 'Saved by the Belt' campaign.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=205...s-reminder-to-wear-seat-belt&s_cid=featured-4
I really have to remind myself to not read all the comments, of course, I always get curious. It has me grinding my teeth at peoples pure stupidity. Everyone is going off that seat belts don't save lives, they trap you in the car, yadda, yadda. Sure, maybe there's that 1% chance a seatbelt makes things worse but heck, I'm going to take my 99% chance of survival and buckle up!
Babysitting my sisters 3 kids the past 2 weeks (ages 6, 4, and 2) has had me fuming at my sister. They aren't made to wear their seatbelts. I can't tell you how big of a fight it has been between me and the kids getting them to buckle up, and properly. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled over on the freeway and elsewhere because they unbuckled. I flat out refuse to drive them that way. It's hard enough not to fix their poorly installed carseats.

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I helped last week to vote on a T-shirt they are giving out to anyone that shares their story with them. It's a great thing they are doing!

christineka

Yesterday I saw an electronic sign that said, "Seatbelt Law enforced". I saw no one around to actually enforce it. I guess the new campaign is why the sign said that.

jacqui276

I took a peak at the comments as well and some of them are aggravating!

I'm a nurse and have seen first hand some of the serious damage to people from being ejected from their vehicles. I have seen a couple of people with some pretty good bruises and lacerations from their seat belts but it sure beats the girl who was sleeping laying down in the back seat when the car rolled and she went through the side window. She had multiple fractures, abdominal bleeding and I spent a period of time picking shards of glass out of her scalp... or the boy who spent weeks intubated in intensive care with a brain injury and multiple fractures who also lost his best friend as they were both ejected through the front windshield. I would take bruising over that!

Then again, helmets are also the law here (one of the arguments I saw listed) and our government is forced to pay for the medical care for those who choose to break the law and not wear a seat belt. Either way, you would think that regardless of whether or not it is the law, that people would want to increase their chance of safety and not risk a trip head-first through glass.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I can't see the comments, but I can imagine. My general comment when I get aggravated enough to chip in my 2 cents is "You know what else you have to be really careful of trapping you in the car? Unconsciousness."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC