A lifetime of Car Seats

christineka

My oldest has hit the age, where I won't be buying any more car seats for her. She is my kid who was old before I got into car seats, so she missed sitting in umpteen-bazillion car seats, except for photographic purposes only.

She came home from the hospital in a secondhand Fisher Price T-shield car seat with aftermarket headrest. (This was in 1999 and the seat was discontinued in 1995.)
ecominghome.jpg

My dh decided he wanted a seat with a handle, so he went to walmart and bought the only infant seat they had- An Evenflo On My Way. The fisher price seat went to the Salvation Army thrift shop.

epuffball.jpg

(Did I mention dd was born in winter in New England? Our car was awfully cold.)

Dd was a lightweight and used her infant seat past a year. I had no ideas of height limits- just the weight limit. We went to walmart to buy a new car seat, but the ffing only seats had 20 and 22 pound minimums. Dd was only 18 pounds, so we got the cheapest convertible there- the Century Room to Grow OHS. It was initially rfing, but such a pain that it turned ffing before dd was 20 pounds. I don't have a picture of her in it, but this is the seat (dd2 is in it)
centurycatie2.jpg

When dd2 made is to 20 pounds at 9 months, she needed the convertible. (It did rf until 1 year.) We again went to walmart and bought the cheapest ffing seat- the graco treasured cargo. It was too late when we learned that it was impossible to adjust the straps while the seat was installed. (Whoever thought that was a good idea?)

emilychestclip.jpg

On dd's 5th birthday, she weighed in a 40 pounds, so the harness came out and she used it as a booster. I was able to cash in points to get a free turbobooster. I put the screws in, but failed to read how to route the seatbelt.

emilyinseat.jpg

(She had a blue seat, though so I don't know why she's sitting in her sister's seat in the photo.)

Then, when ds made it to 40 pounds, I had to get another turbo. The pink one was $20 cheaper than the not pink, so dd got a pink seat. (And I started learning about car seats.)

efront.jpg

Next, she went through a few boosters, trying to get the right ones for her and our van. She even tried out the regent and fell in love- just before outgrowing it.
esleeps.jpg

The plush parkway was not as good as the regent, but sufficient.
parkwayE.jpg

(She still fits, btw)

On her 12th birthday I made her go backless. It's good for short drives.
em2may2012.jpg

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wish I had pics of all the seats I bought wrong. Most of mine were from garage sales though.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Nice! I have that pink turbo cover here. I need to post it on swap. She looks a lot like K in the younger pic where she's about that age. I'm surprised you have all those pics.

mominabigtruck

I'm surprised at the difference a couple years make. Ds1 was born in 2002 and came home in a 5pt designer 22 with the turn handle. It was the cheapest seat at Kmart and I was just in love with the baby blue straps and noah's ark animals. I think even then that tshield fp would've looked old to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

java

This is great! Thanks for sharing! It is definitely a good example of when we know better we do better. You learned...and even though you had a kid that was in a used seat and aftermarket products and not buckled as tightly as should be and she survived...you were still receptive and willing to learn. I am so thankful for this forum and the carseat forum on DS where I learned so much before my first was born. I still did so much wrong with her as a nb though. If it weren't for other moms and a little research I am scared to think how bad my carseat usage would have been!

Also super thankful for seats better than 3 pt harnesses and t shields now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC