confusion with the word latch lower anchors and top tethers

chickenman

I know i have people tell me they get confused when they look at the manual and they read that they ant use latch after 48 lbs, meaning they should not use the lower anchors or the top tetherm has anyone else had people confused about what a latch connector is when it really is a lower anchor connector? i now know that certain car manufactors say you can only use the lower anchors and top tethers to certain weights, but in class we were taught that we should continue to use the top tether, because the safety benefits outweigh the risk or something bad happening. any one else have confused parents like this? should the terminology be changed?

ADS

southpawboston

i agree with the OP that the nomenclature is confusing and is often used incorrectly, both here and in some carseat instruction manuals.

for example, "LATCH connectors" and "LATCH belt" are technically misnomers. they should be called "lower anchor connectors" and "lower anchor belt". the reason being, that LATCH is an acronym for TWO independent aspects of seat attachment-- the lower anchors AND tethers. the connectors that we use on the lower anchors have NOTHING to do with the top tether. by calling the connector a "LATCH connector" it *could* imply something to do with the top tether.

confusing, indeed.

i mentioned this in an earlier post:

LATCH = Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren. it is an acronym for the carseat attachment system which includes both the lower anchors AND top tether.

and yes, the nomenclature is confusing. they really should have thought of something more systematic instead of something "cutesy". i mean, technically, the belt that 99% of us refer to as a "LATCH" belt should really be called the "lower anchor" belt, because it fastens to the lower anchors and is completely separate from the top tether.

chickenman

i agree with the OP that the nomenclature is confusing and is often used incorrectly, both here and in some carseat instruction manuals.

for example, "LATCH connectors" and "LATCH belt" are technically misnomers. they should be called "lower anchor connectors" and "lower anchor belt". the reason being, that LATCH is an acronym for TWO independent aspects of seat attachment-- the lower anchors AND tethers. the connectors that we use on the lower anchors have NOTHING to do with the top tether. by calling the connector a "LATCH connector" it *could* imply something to do with the top tether.

confusing, indeed.

i mentioned this in an earlier post:
im glad im not the only one

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I totally understand the confusion. I think what's kind of funny too, is that in Canada the official terminology is UAS - universal anchorage system - and it refers to the lower anchor belt and lower anchors primarily since top tethers were already mandatory to use.

I do actually prefer LATCH, but usually use it exclusively for the lower anchor belt and lower anchors. I can totally see how there's room for a lot of confusion there though and will have to be more mindful of that in the future.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC