Peg convertible??

MyTwoSons

I thought I was deciding between the Pria and the new Size4Me70 for DS2, but during all this time waiting for the new one to come to a store I've started looking at the the Peg convertible too. Now with a 3rd option thrown in I don't know which I'll end up with. :shrug-shoulders:

If you have the Peg or know someone who does, do you love it? Anyone have real world use with an 18month to 3yr old? Does it have any issues?

I've read through old posts and while there seemed to be confusion over limits, the most recent stuff is saying Rf to 7th headrest position and 1" below headrest not shell...is that right? Also what was the final answer to the latch limit? Is it 30lbs regardless or can it be used to the vehicle limit (mine is 48lbs).

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The LATCH limit thing is a misprint. They say it's actually 40 lbs. (although the manual says "unless your vehicle specifies a higher limit." So in this case it would probably defer to yours, which would be 48. I woudn't use it once forward-facing, to be safe.)

The rear-facing seatbelt install is a pretty big issue, to me. If you're EVER going to have to use it rear-facing in a non-LATCH position, that would be reason not to buy it to me. LOL.

The third from the top/seventh from the bottom position is indeed the max for RFing- that gives you about the same amount of growth room as the Radian, so that's nice.

The manual is horribly written. Horribly. Also, the FF belt guides, which they name lockoffs, do not replace locking the belt, FYI.

Other than the issues I found, I really liked it. That's kind of a big caveat...

Here's my post on my time with it. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=220174

luckyclov

The rear-facing seatbelt install is a pretty big issue, to me. If you're EVER going to have to use it rear-facing in a non-LATCH position, that would be reason not to buy it to me.
This, this, and this.

CuddlyMonsters

I just recently purchased this seat for my 8 month old DD and so far we have had no problems with the seat. It installs/uninstalled in seconds with the LATCH, but it seriously takes just minutes to install/uninstall with the seatbelt.

The seat is well padded and very comfortable. I actually just took some pictures today of it compared to a Britax Marathon and Radian XTSL.

I had purchased this seat because I wanted to RF her as long as possible (it has a 45lbs limit for RF), but if she grows out of that height wise I can still FF till 70lbs.

This seat is well made in my opinion. The instruction manual is really badly worded/printed though. However, that didn't stop me from getting this seat.

I wanted to add - I had also considered the Maxi Cosi Pria 70, but it being a Dorel seat I decided against it because of all the trouble people had with install. The Maxi Cosi Pria 70 only allows for a 45* install, so there isn't much give!

Last edited:

Citrine

CuddlyMonsters, are you going to post your pictures of the 2 seats? I also have the peg on my list.

CuddlyMonsters

Here are some pictures of it to kind of give you an idea.

7252371640_66637b5aef.jpg

Above picture is of the Peg Convertible next to the Radian XTSL, the Peg is set to the 7th slot on the headrest (max RF).

7252371396_7563bd53ed.jpg

Peg Convertible compared to a Britax Marathon.

7252371490_96937fe920.jpg

Here is a picture of the Peg Covertible compared to a Britax Marathon and Radian XTSL. Again the Peg is set to the 7th slot (max RF).

Hope this helps you out and give you an idea.

melniemi

Is it possible for you to take pics of rfing legroom of all 3? Bonus points if a kid is in them so we can really see!! Thanks!

ktbug87

We just purchased one for our now 4 month-old to use in a few months.

I tried it out in the store, and having never seen one before and not seeing the manual, I installed it in our car with seatbelt in less than one minute. I just tilted the seat a tad, dropped the belt in, grabbed from the other side, and buckled. It might be more difficult for my husband who has a larger hand, but in my opinion it was really easy.

It seemed to be extremely well made.

MyTwoSons

The LATCH limit thing is a misprint. They say it's actually 40 lbs. (although the manual says "unless your vehicle specifies a higher limit." So in this case it would probably defer to yours, which would be 48. I woudn't use it once forward-facing, to be safe.)

The rear-facing seatbelt install is a pretty big issue, to me. If you're EVER going to have to use it rear-facing in a non-LATCH position, that would be reason not to buy it to me. LOL.

Just for clarification...you said you wouldn't use the latch in my case for ff...is that just over a certain weight (say switch to seatbelt when turned at 45lbs instead of using the latch ff until 48lb)? Or would you not use the latch ff even at a lower weight? Just on this seat or all seats in general? I ask specifically because I have a 4yr DS in a FR85 that is latched and he weighs 38-40lbs. Should I switch him to seatbelt install instead?

And for the other issue, I don't think I would ever have to use the Peg rf with a seatbelt, but out of curiosity do the issues seem to be with some types of seatbelts rather than others? Also does it install ff with seatbelt easier, or are there install issues with that as well?

Thank you for the input!!:)

oakster

Can those who've had seatbelt install problems elaborate on what the specific issue is? I'm trying to sort this out since some people say it's easy and others say it's awful--which cars were your good/bad experiences with? This is one of the seats I'm considering, and that might help me figure out if it will be an issue in our car (first gen Toyota Prius) since we have to do a seatbelt install if we want to use the center. (Hoping to try it out in person, but we don't have a BBB nearby and haven't yet seen the seat in our local independent stores.) Thanks!

CuddlyMonsters

I have a 2011 Honda Odyssesy and did not have problems installing this seat RF and FF with the seat belt or LATCH. This seat actually installed in seconds with the LATCH, with the seat belt maybe 1 minute? I tried reading the instruction manual, but really it is so badly written that you are better off just getting the right information online or give them a call.

I actually just took this picture of my kids the other day. Sorry about the bad cell phone quality of the picture. My 8 month old DD is sitting in the seat. Gives you a little idea of how much room you have when RF.

7255306840_071da97ee1_b.jpg

As for all three car seats in comparsion, that would be a little tricky, because I would have to totally uninstall the other seats in my van and reinstall these and I hate messing with some of the seats once they are installed.

However maybe the picture above will give you a better idea of the car seat in question. I can try and put my 3 year old DS in it today if he will let me. The little dude is like 35lbs...

MyTwoSons

I can try and put my 3 year old DS in it today if he will let me. The little dude is like 35lbs...

This would be great! I would like to see the leg room with an older child when it's installed. If you could include his overall height vs torso height that would help us to compare to have a better idea how our own children would fit.
Thanks!

gigi

I'd like to know if this red looks good next to a cardinal britax...anyone know? My son will freak if I get his sister yet another all red seat and him a boring black again, but I can't have clashing reds.

I REALLY wish this seat had rebound control!

whitneyg

How is the harness adjustment? Is it tug tug tug like a Radian...or one nice and smooth pull like a Britax? And how does the profile compare with the Britax? I am hoping my toddler would be able to load and unload herself through a rather small car door opening. A side view pic of the three seats (Radian, Peg, Marathon) would be awesome if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks!

wnkw

I have a 2011 Honda Odyssesy and did not have problems installing this seat RF and FF with the seat belt or LATCH. This seat actually installed in seconds with the LATCH, with the seat belt maybe 1 minute? I tried reading the instruction manual, but really it is so badly written that you are better off just getting the right information online or give them a call.

I actually just took this picture of my kids the other day. Sorry about the bad cell phone quality of the picture. My 8 month old DD is sitting in the seat. Gives you a little idea of how much room you have when RF.

7255306840_071da97ee1_b.jpg

As for all three car seats in comparsion, that would be a little tricky, because I would have to totally uninstall the other seats in my van and reinstall these and I hate messing with some of the seats once they are installed.

However maybe the picture above will give you a better idea of the car seat in question. I can try and put my 3 year old DS in it today if he will let me. The little dude is like 35lbs...

I know this thread is old, but..
What is your 3 yo (4 now?) riding in? Trying to figure out if we should replace dd2's blvd with a peg. Dd1 is mostly riding in a fr85, and I'm not ready to use a booster full time. I like them side by side, but I'm not sure they will work together. Right now I have dd1's fr85 outboard and dd2's blvd center in 2007 maxima.

Meg

I know this thread is old, but..
What is your 3 yo (4 now?) riding in? Trying to figure out if we should replace dd2's blvd with a peg. Dd1 is mostly riding in a fr85, and I'm not ready to use a booster full time. I like them side by side, but I'm not sure they will work together. Right now I have dd1's fr85 outboard and dd2's blvd center in 2007 maxima.

I'm not that poster, but that's a maui cover, so it must be a FR 85.

I have two of these seats in my 08 Jetta and I love them.

I use the RFing for my friend's almost 16 month old twins and FFing for my 4 year old sister and my other friend's 3 year old twins (she turned them before two, I am considering seeing how they like RFing again in my car at some point).

I use LATCH for RFing and seatbelt with top tether for FFing. I can get it Britax solid, but with more effort...but it's possible. I don't think there's much out there that installs as solid as a MA In less than 30 seconds. I have had seats that just will not install to my liking with extreme effort.

I find them easy to use and they have changed the tab to pull up the headrest to a loop for your finger now instead of just a tab you couldn't grip. The ONLY complaint that I have is the stupid design of the strap covers...they are definitely not acceptable for a small baby and even Olivia hates them. They are very thick sit up in their face, the babies hate them and tug at them...I originally took them off but then thought I'd try them one day last week because they're teething and drooling a lot and even with almost 16 month olds who are 21 and 24lbs, they are definitely too big and only just fit with the chest clip in the right place. There is just no way these are safe with a little one.

Overall these are really nice seats and Olivia seems to really like them. She absolutely refuses to ride in a Recaro...I had one and she cried saying it hurt her and she started to complain about the straps on her BLVD. I had a Nauti for her but the install sucked and if I can get away with having only two seats instead of 3 for now then that works for me. I now never have to take seats in and out or switch, they just stay in the car. If I have Olivia, I just turn one FFing although she wants so desperately to go RFing again... I know she's close to the weight limit and I haven't weighed her recently enough since I got these.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC