What is it exactly about a Marathon that puts techs off?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The very first seat I checked today - well, jointly because I shadowed the first check - was a marathon. The tech I was shadowing was very leary of marathon's. Actually told me that she wasn't comfortable with them and hated the whole rf'ing tether thing. She then tried to say the seat couldn't be installed with LATCH because the seat was sitting on top of the connectors. :rolleyes: Of course moving the seat back fixed that problem, the seat ended up more upright, so I showed mom how to rf tether and we tethered it to get the correct angle for the way home. The tech I was working with took great care to emphasize to mom that she'd probably prefer a pool noodle. :rolleyes:

So, anyone have any idea why some techs are just put-off with the Marathon? Just that they're not familiar with it? Rf tethering being a fairly recent change compared to ffing tethers that have been mandatory for so long here in Canada?

Also, anyone know if at anytime Britax ever required that the rf tether be used? I've never heard that, but the other tech was under the impression that it used to be mandatory, then Britax changed it to make it optional. :confused: This & her die hard belief that rf'ing seats MUST rebound is what her problems with the MA were.

She was unaware of the Radian and that it allowed rf tethering too..lol. She was saying to me Britax are the only seats allowing it, and I had to tell her about the Radian - which she'd never heard of, even though we have a recall on it here in Canada. :rolleyes:

Anyways, anyone have any insight? Is the hesitation with britax seats common among a lot of techs? I know too many think the Regent is a waste of money and kids should just be in boosters, but what about the other Britax seats?

ADS

skaterbabs

Because they're expensive enough that not many techs get a lot of practice with them, and some of the rules are different. Also some instructors will pass on their biases against Britax seats to their students.

chickenman

it depends on the area you are in, i work in a retail store called chicken little and the marathon is our best selling car seat, but we are are very selective on our brands, i just think the regent is huge, and not for me, because i travel, and have smaller vechiles, but for some moms that buy a brand new mercades thats what they want. i like roundabouts better, but marathons are good too just different how you need to switch the latch connectors from rear to forward facing, but im happy they have improved there lock offs, and its only until recently that i have understood the importance of rear face tethering. i understand that car seats should ride down the crash but the webbing isnt rigid like an isofix, its stretchable, it would be intresting to find a crash video on it. If i had to do use a belt shortening clip, then i would have to go look in my manual, because i only practiced a couple of times in class, but no i probaly will never have to actually do one, where if you live in a farming community some do 5 a week.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Because they're expensive enough that not many techs get a lot of practice with them, and some of the rules are different. Also some instructors will pass on their biases against Britax seats to their students.

:yeahthat:
I also don't think that many tech's know that a seat as nice as the Britax seats are actually out there!

I know in my area no one had even heard of Britax so installing one by Britax rules just seems to go against what the tech was taught :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

I guess I'm wondering why some instructors have this bias. I mean, this seat is so much easier to use and install than the dumb 3-in-1's that litter car seat aisles every where.

I had another MA today too that was ff'ing. I'm betting that if another tech had done it, they might not have realized the latch connectors hadn't been switched...

It's unfortunate they're so much more expensive and so many techs are less comfortable with them.

chickenman

I guess I'm wondering why some instructors have this bias. I mean, this seat is so much easier to use and install than the dumb 3-in-1's that litter car seat aisles every where.

I had another MA today too that was ff'ing. I'm betting that if another tech had done it, they might not have realized the latch connectors hadn't been switched...

It's unfortunate they're so much more expensive and so many techs are less comfortable with them.
i hate cosco three in ones especially rear facing, you have to use a noodle and its still hard to get it reclines properly and tight enough, forget how hard it is to reroute the latch

snowbird25ca

:yeahthat:
I also don't think that many tech's know that a seat as nice as the Britax seats are actually out there!

I know in my area no one had even heard of Britax so installing one by Britax rules just seems to go against what the tech was taught :rolleyes:

Somewhat OT, but what were you taught in your tech course?

It was kind of funny, because the tech I shadowed kept asking me what I was taught in the course about rf'ing tethers...lol. She seemed shocked when I told her that we were taught that whenever it's possible, to do it. She really seemed to have no clue of even where to look for a place to put the D ring though.

snowbird25ca

i hate cosco three in ones especially rear facing, you have to use a noodle and its still hard to get it reclines properly and tight enough, forget how hard it is to reroute the latch

Yeah, and then what a pain it is to adjust the tightness of the harness. Add to that that kids outgrow it before they're ready for a booster in most cases, and it's just a crummy seat. :thumbsdown:

I had a lady downright ticked about her not yet 3yr old being within 1/2" of outgrowing her 3 in 1. She kept saying "but it's supposed to be the only seat I ever need." I ended up telling her that it's not completely true advertising and that it isn't the last seat most people need.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I agree with the PP. I've worked with techs, and even instructors, that had NO clue what made a Britax or other high end seat better. They honestly believe a Scenera is equal to a MA/DE/BLVD. (I have both and they are not equal.) Since they feel they're equal they see no reason to have a $$ seat. I like to compare the Ford Festiva to a Mercedes. They're both cars, and will get you from point A to point B, but if you knew a drunk was going to hit you today which would you prefer to be driving???

Just do what you can to educate the parents and the tech (but be careful in front of the parent, so the other tech doesn't look stupid- use the manual, it is your friend :D ).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Somewhat OT, but what were you taught in your tech course?
We were told to follow the manual :rolleyes: I brought my MA and showed them the RF tether and the instructor just said if the seat allows it then you can RF tether it.

Another tech that I will be working with at the seat check this weekend is all for RF tethering and thinks that the Britax seats are great seats and that many tech's have never seen one.

chickenman

I agree with the PP. I've worked with techs, and even instructors, that had NO clue what made a Britax or other high end seat better. They honestly believe a Scenera is equal to a MA/DE/BLVD. (I have both and they are not equal.) Since they feel they're equal they see no reason to have a $$ seat. I like to compare the Ford Festiva to a Mercedes. They're both cars, and will get you from point A to point B, but if you knew a drunk was going to hit you today which would you prefer to be driving???

Just do what you can to educate the parents and the tech (but be careful in front of the parent, so the other tech doesn't look stupid- use the manual, it is your friend :D ).
they train us to not pass personal judgement which is hard to not say my child has this for this reason, they want us to tell parents that the safest thing is the seat that is appropriate for them the car and the parent to use, which is true to a point i mean the parent needs to be able to install the car seat as well as you can

chickenman

We were told to follow the manual :rolleyes: I brought my MA and showed them the RF tether and the instructor just said if the seat allows it then you can RF tether it.

Another tech that I will be working with at the seat check this weekend is all for RF tethering and thinks that the Britax seats are great seats and that many tech's have never seen one.
yea same with my instructors, they also told me why they loved the chicco infant seat, but if only there stroller was to love as much

snowbird25ca

Yeah, it was easy to actually discuss this because mom was talking to a reporter while the other tech was in the vehicle and I was leaning in to it...lol.

Awesome that you'll be working with a tech familiar with the Britax seats. I had a student nurse scribing for me, and so she was learning right along with the parents on some seats. Maybe if she ends up being a nurse sent for training she'll be more comfortable with MA's. One can hope anyways.

chickenman

Yeah, it was easy to actually discuss this because mom was talking to a reporter while the other tech was in the vehicle and I was leaning in to it...lol.

Awesome that you'll be working with a tech familiar with the Britax seats. I had a student nurse scribing for me, and so she was learning right along with the parents on some seats. Maybe if she ends up being a nurse sent for training she'll be more comfortable with MA's. One can hope anyways.

make sure she knows what the hippo is

snowbird25ca

I did also tell the mom that the seat was safe both with and without the tether. I'm still hoping that the discussion was educational enough that she'll leave the tether on - it was such a perfect spot and she'd need a good triangle of pool noodles to recline the seat properly...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC