Question Radian harness tightness

carseatfreak

My 26 month olds ride rear facing in RN XTSL's. I am really struggling with the tightness of the harness. I feel like in order to get it snug enough at the chest clip the buckle is digging in their tummy's. I pull the slack out of the bottom part of the harness over the legs to try to get the buckle to not dig in but it still seems too tight there. If I leave the harness loose enough for the buckle to not be so tight the chest clip is very loose... My kids are tall and skinny. Any tips or advice? Missing my classic MA harness right now (but not the lack of leg room).

ADS

bnsnyde

I have 3 Radians and I must say I don't love their harness adjusters. I make them really, really tight. I'm not sure if it's digging in or where, but they are tight. Now, getting them tight is a pain so I usually just leave it at one setting. And oddly I find it very hard to get tight FF and easier RF. One of my kids is FF and the rest RF.
So much easier in the summer when they only ever wear a tshirt.
I don't think too tight in a problem and they don't complain (anymore that is, since they know I'm going to put it tight, lol).

carseatfreak

Mine do complain...granted they are two and complain even when I know it's not too tight. I have learned to unbuckle the crotch buckle and give a tug or two if it needs tightened a little and then buckle back up. I cannot tighten enough with the tug tug while everything is buckled (loose enough at chest to slide my fist under).

carseatfreak

This is still bugging me. The manual says they should be tightened but not compress into an unnatural position (something along those lines....don't have manual in front of me). This is my problem...for it to be snug enough along the front of their body the bottom buckle is pressing into their tummy and the shoulders leave marks. Should I be more concerned with a snug fit in those 2 places rather than snug where the harness lies between those 2 places? I took the harness pads off and it may have helped a little bit but not much. I have been reading that you may be able to get thinner harness pads?? Need to try that too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You only need to check for tightness at the shoulders. Not the chest clip, not the belly. Just make sure you can't pinch anything.

Wendy

featherhead

This is still bugging me. The manual says they should be tightened but not compress into an unnatural position (something along those lines....don't have manual in front of me). This is my problem...for it to be snug enough along the front of their body the bottom buckle is pressing into their tummy and the shoulders leave marks. Should I be more concerned with a snug fit in those 2 places rather than snug where the harness lies between those 2 places? I took the harness pads off and it may have helped a little bit but not much. I have been reading that you may be able to get thinner harness pads?? Need to try that too.

Sounds like you have it too tight. There will generally be space between the straps and the child's body. You need to only check for tightness by the collar bone (after pulling slack out of the hips of course).

carseatfreak

This is good to know! Thanks (and my girls thank you!!). At a recent check the lady mentioned their harnesses being tight but was checking at the chest clip so I have been constant questioning it since them (they had also never seen a radian before).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Do you have the super thick harness pads that go both above and below the chest clip?

Where are you checking for tightness? You don't want visible slack in the belt (say, hiding out by the hips,) but the only place it needs to be pinch-test tight is at the collarbone. If you're able to place your hand under the harness lower down - like at their bellies - that is okay.

Eta: should have refreshed before replying!

carseatfreak

Carrie_R said:
Do you have the super thick harness pads that go both above and below the chest clip?

Where are you checking for tightness? You don't want visible slack in the belt (say, hiding out by the hips,) but the only place it needs to be pinch-test tight is at the collarbone. If you're able to place your hand under the harness lower down - like at their bellies - that is okay.

Eta: should have refreshed before replying!

No just ones above the chest clip. They are just bulkier than the britax and graco ones I am used to.

I was checking slack more at chest clip level and not up at collarbone. I loosened them up a tad on way home today.

jmenole

Reviving this as I feel like I have the same problem with my RXT & 21 month old (RF'ing). To be tight enough at the collar bone, its digging into his belly.

I am also using the second crotch strap slot. I have tried going back to the first so that it would be a little lower but it doesn't seem to be that much better. He is on the second from the bottom harness slots, but by eyeballing it, he's getting close to being at the third ones soon.

Any other ideas? I will try to post some pictures as maybe that would help.

featherhead

Reviving this as I feel like I have the same problem with my RXT & 21 month old (RF'ing). To be tight enough at the collar bone, its digging into his belly.

I am also using the second crotch strap slot. I have tried going back to the first so that it would be a little lower but it doesn't seem to be that much better. He is on the second from the bottom harness slots, but by eyeballing it, he's getting close to being at the third ones soon.

Any other ideas? I will try to post some pictures as maybe that would help.

Move the harness up. You'll probably find that once you do, he is even with (or close to) the third slots. Once they get close the harness sometimes pulls them down so it looks like they are not as close as they are. It's ok if the harness is a tiny bit above the shoulders for a while. By the way, my 16 month old is halfway between the third and fourth slots, lol. A 21 month old on the second slots must have a short torso!

jmenole

Move the harness up. You'll probably find that once you do, he is even with (or close to) the third slots. Once they get close the harness sometimes pulls them down so it looks like they are not as close as they are. It's ok if the harness is a tiny bit above the shoulders for a while. By the way, my 16 month old is halfway between the third and fourth slots, lol. A 21 month old on the second slots must have a short torso!

Thank you, I'll try that. He is a peanut - his belly is the only thing keeping him on the growth charts. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC