Minivans! Anyone drive one and hate it?

jdjr6735

I only ever hear moms raving about how great their minivan is. Makes me want to join the bandwagon. So, does anybody hate theirs???

ADS

canadiangie

I've met a few. I've worked with plenty of families who have gone from a minivan to a full size SUV and prefer it.

I know I will never own a minivan.

But most of the time minivan peeps are pretty into their vans, telling us SUV peeps that we really need to accept reality.. that vans are "better", "easier", yadda yadda.

It's kind of funny.

What van are you considering?

Marvin711

Well hate is a strong word...:) but I did drive a sienna for a year or so that didn't have power sliding doors and have to say there wasn't much love there. SIL has a Chevy van, I pretty much hate it.
I have now had two Honda Ody's and love them - for this stage of life!!! Once my kids are older while I still might love the Ody I doubt it will always be my dream car! ;)

agave

I don't hate mine but I don't love it either. I don't think power doors would change that. I only have 2 kids and have no plans for more but I do love that it's super easy to haul around 6 people usually grandparents but I'm sure as the kids get older I'll probably haul more kids. My next car will most likely be an SUV with 3 rows by then I won't have any more RF kids and will probably have 1 in a booster.

djma

I only despised my ody because of the problems it gave. Loved the room it had though. Sadly, we won't look at ody's again. We will look at siennas or crossovers (like the freestyle).

katymyers

I have nothing bad to say about my van. I'm absolutely in love. To be fair though I've got three kids under age three and for the car seat situation it's fantastic. At this point in my life the only thing that might sway me is a Chevy Traverse, but that's really just a van without a sliding door if you look at it. A van was never my dream car and once my kids are grown I probably won't drive one anymore but for now it's pretty much perfect. To someone with kids I'd always recommend a van.

kam1011

The only thing I don't like is that I used to have 3 across the back of a sedan and I could get everyone in and buckled without walking around the whole car, just reaching in. In the van, I can't reach all the way over to the other captains chair, so I always have to walk around and wait for the sliding doors to open. Also, in the car, I used to turn around and unbuckle the crotch strap and they would undo their chest clips and when I got out and opened the door, they'd all be climbing out already. Now I have to walk around and let everyone out. I've kinda gotten used to it now (had the van for a month and a half) but that would be my only not-even-real complaint.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Me, me, me! I had a nice minivan too not some POS that I hated because it wasn't nice. I had a loaded, brand new Sienna Limited...drove it for about a year and got rid of it, thank God! I love my big SUV and I think the only big convince of a minivan over my Yukon XL was the sliding doors but they weren't that great (I never park next to people so not having them isn't too hard for me and my kids are trained in how to open their doors and have never dinged anyone). I can walk through my SUV, I have more cargo room, it isn't a dog and my hubby doesn't lose 5 man points on the weekends. ;) (I am kidding!!)

Sent from my iPad using Car-Seat.Org

Kat_Momof3

I have one very super tall boy and a combo of 3 very noisy kids. for leg room and fitting the max passengers in it, I have loved my minivan. My only regret is that I didn't find a sienna the the price point where I could have gotten an 8passenger instead of my caravan 7 passenger, but I still love the van I have.

I use my third row so much and life is so much easier with the kids not in the same row, so while I would like a newer one with a third row middle headrest and shoulderbelt and there are times I would have liked 8 passenger, I still love my minivan that I do have.

The only reason I oggle SUVs and crossovers now is because they seem to have the best headrest/tall vehicle seat options, but the lack of leg room in their third rows (even with the fact that Damian is gonna be able to ride in the front row and HAS to ride in front in dh's car (due to no middle headrest and space in a 2-door car), I prefer him in back)

I think I'll end up (when the time finally comes that we can afford to get something else) either scaling down and getting something like a toyota camry (aka, a larger hybrid) where the kids can either very comfortably fit 3 across and just accept that Damian may sometimes ride up front (this is still a few years away) or I may end up with either a minivan or a cross over (My most recent oggle is the Dodge Journey)

But honestly, one other reason I'm oggling SUVs more is because they aren't all 8-cylinder engines in the big ones like they used to be, they're easier to get in and out of, and basically, they're changing the same way minivans did to gain that popularity, becoming more kid and family friendly.

bnsnyde

I don't like them.

I drive one because we have 4 kids and could no longer do 3 in a row in a car. You cannot SEE in a minivan b/c of the blind spots. I like 360 visibility like in (most) cars. I look before I do anything. I can't use mirrors for the life of me.

We have the 2011 Odyssey and I like how it fits the kids so well, but I would not drive a mini-van if I had 3 or fewer kids.

I don't do expressways and I don't chance lanes if I don't have to. It's pretty much to school and piano, etc.

So while I say I love the van and might rave about it, realize it's because I have no real choice. Minivans are OK (at least not a giant truck!) but I don't LIKE them when it comes down to it.

I feel safer in my civic b/c I can see all around it. Though I know if something happened the van would be safer in an actual crash. oh, adn when there are 6 kids in it in seats there is NO way to get to the third row except climb through the trunk over the seat...not going to be easy, whew!! We're going to use the Frontier85 as boosters when they are older so no easy booster to simply take in and out.

sUV's I don't get. They seem to have none of the space of the mini-van (we tested them all, even the back seat) but more roll over risk, more cost usually, and bad visibility like a van. I love cars!!!! I want a car, lol.

2BunniesMommy

I don't love mine, but it has many issues and eats too much gas. If I had one where everything worked like it is supposed to I would like it more but since we have 2 kids and are done, I am wanting to go back to a car.

mominabigtruck

I now own two vans and I don't feel the love for either one. My main complaint is lack of storage. Yeah, I can fit all my kids in but what about all their crap? I would LOVE a suburban or excursion but unfortunately I'm spending about $1000 a month on gas right now so there's no way I could afford it.
Posted via Mobile Device

rxmommy

DH absolutely despises them. I think he should get over it, for the 10 times a year he drives it. :rolleyes:

It's certainly not my dream vehicle, but for hauling my kids around it's awesome. And I do curse it in the winter when I'm wishing for 4-wheel drive and have to drive DH's pickup around.

I don't get the minivan/SUV wars, either. My in-laws all have trucks or SUVs and love them and will never get vans. Do I really care? Nope. I love mine and it works for me. I could care less what they drive, so don't try to talk me into your vehicle because I'm not going to waste any energy talking you into mine!

Chely7425

We have one and I wouldn't say I HATE it but I really really don't like it. For a van it's very nice (we have a Toyota Sienna) and when we needed something it was the only thing in our price range that was going to work for 4 RFing kids... but we are definitely trading it in on an SUV in the next few years, probably a suburban

Lemonade

I have an 06 Sienna (with one auto sliding door) which we bought new in Jan 07. It is wonderful and convenient and exactly what we need with all the road trips we take. Got it when DS was 13m old and DD was planned within a year or two. It has been great for PNPs, strollers, etc. Very easy when DD was an infant to climb in the back and nurse her in the 3rd row in a parking lot. DH likes to load it up at Home Depot on the weekend. Plan to keep it until it's 8-10 yrs old and then replace it with something slightly smaller (right now, if I had the funds, that would be a Toyota Highlander, or Subaru Tribeca) because we'll be down to boosters and no strollers or baby/toddler gear by then. I am looking forward to that. If funds were unlimited I would replace it now, but they're not. Nobody drives a minivan because they're sexy or fun or sporty. They're just really convenient and practical and make family life easier.

Kobain's Mommy

My dream car. Not a chance. But for now it works for us. I used to have a Neon that I loved, but with 4 and a double stroller that took up the whole trunk we needed something bigger. We got a van so we won't have to keep trading in. I just told DH it must have automatic doors and stow n go. Right now we have the 60 folded down. Our Combi sport stroller behind the 40, where it wedges just perfectly.

firemomof3

I have an 06 Sedona and its been great :) Its been fine in the snow, is car seat friendly, has ok gas milage and I can fit everyone including the dogs ;) We had the option of getting an suv but we chose the minivan because of the better gas milage & safety. My van has auto sliding doors/hatch which is very nice.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I hate my particular model of minivan, but I like the actualy minivan part, if that makes sense.

Love the sliding doors (makes loading and unloading SO much easier), love the room for lots of passengers and cargo, love that it doesn't eat gas like an SUV. Hate the minivan that I bought ('07 T&C). I'll probably get an Odyssey after this one.

agave

I have an '06 Sedona I like the sliding doors and love having 3 rows. I hate that I can't see my hood and the visibility out the back sucks. I keep hitting the barbed wire fence backing out of the carport because I have no idea where it is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC