Tell me she'll be fine

mommyfrog

My sister has an 8yo ds who refused to sit in his booster so she took him to the store and let him pick his own (blue flame Big Kid!!) and he now sits in it without any arguing. That's awesome and my sister was really excited to show it to me. Then she said "So while I was there I went ahead and got dd a high back." I was like "What?"!! She is 4 next month and about 39 inches and 35 pounds. I told her it wasn't really safe or recommended to have a child that age and size in a booster. Her argument was that her dd wouldn't stay buckled in her car seat, so the booster is actually safer since she does stay buckled. I just can't imagine her wiggly little dd staying still the whole ride. UGH!! I'm not sure what booster it was because I was kind of in shock since I just turned my youngest ds ff a couple months ago. But I looked at how the seat belt fit her and it was great. It wasn't a Turbo, maybe the Evenflo one that isn't the Big Kid high back. Anyway, reassure me that she will be okay. Or not!!

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
She'll be fine as long as they don't get in an accident?

And even then... I don't know. It's not a choice I'd make because I think it's risky. But if she actually does stay in it (which IMO is a long shot), then your sister has a point. If she's sitting properly she'll be relatively protected. Although I'd work on making her stay in her car seat before rewarding her with more freedom in a booster.

jacqui276

I would be nervous with it, especially if she doesn't sit properly in her seat. Do they even make booster seats for kids under 40lbs? I know in the US laws and seats are different, but here even though you legally have to be 40lbs OR 4 years old to be out of a harness, I have yet to see any booster seats that don't require a child to be at least 40lbs to ride in one.

canadiangie

Alberta law is 40lbs or age 6, whichever comes first. We have no booster seat law. All boosters start at 40lbs in Canada.

In the US, boosters start at 30lbs. Many backless boosters restrict use until 40lbs.

I would be nervous with it, especially if she doesn't sit properly in her seat. Do they even make booster seats for kids under 40lbs? I know in the US laws and seats are different, but here even though you legally have to be 40lbs OR 4 years old to be out of a harness, I have yet to see any booster seats that don't require a child to be at least 40lbs to ride in one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC