Easiest to Buckle Combo?

kathysr98

I need one more seat for dd & would like something she can buckle by herself. She is four, so I see no reason to buy a convertible since there are no more after her & it doesn't look like there will be. I would prefer something inexpensive since this is going in dh's truck which is rarely used. Any suggestions?

ADS

aept

Can you go to BRU or buy buy baby with her and try some? Not that she'd be independent yet but then you could get a feel for them.
I personally didn't think the Maestro was easy. I just had a preschooler ride in one in y car for a field trip and I found it a little tricky. It might have just been my own unfamiliarity though.
My oldest can undo britax and radian buckles since about age 4-4.5. He has occasional trouble with the frontier 85 chest clip but undoes other (older) britax and old ssk radian chest clips fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

christineka

From my experience, I'd say frontier. It's got a long crotch strap, which helps make buckling and unbuckling easier.

cookie123

The Evenflo SK400 is hard to buckle and unbuckle. Matthew really struggles to do both. What about the Pro Sport? If it has the same set up as the Pro Ride, that seems much easier.

kathysr98

aept said:
Can you go to BRU or buy buy baby with her and try some? Not that she'd be independent yet but then you could get a feel for them.
Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

we only have TRU, Target, Burlington, & Walmart in our area. I may wait until we travel again to look since I'm considering a trip to Dallas sometime this summer.

kathysr98

christineka said:
From my experience, I'd say frontier. It's got a long crotch strap, which helps make buckling and unbuckling easier.

I'd like a Frontier, I think, but would have to order without a chance to try it in my car. Maybe we can go to Dallas in my car & I can try one then.

kathysr98

cookie123 said:
The Evenflo SK400 is hard to buckle and unbuckle. Matthew really struggles to do both. What about the Pro Sport? If it has the same set up as the Pro Ride, that seems much easier.

That's good to know! We have a ProSport, but she's only been in it once or twice. I got a good deal on it & have using it for a friend's child in my car. I may try that out.

kam1011

I think the nautilus with the older buckles (I know others will disagree). My 2.5 year old can sit in it, buckle entirely, and tighten the harness. And it's not even her seat :) I even took a video of it and posted it on facebook with a comment about if my 2.5 yo can do it, you can too! The video was 44 seconds, so reasonable, I think.
She just loves to jump into it.

jennlana

I think the nautilus with the older buckles (I know others will disagree). My 2.5 year old can sit in it, buckle entirely, and tighten the harness. And it's not even her seat :) I even took a video of it and posted it on facebook with a comment about if my 2.5 yo can do it, you can too! The video was 44 seconds, so reasonable, I think.
She just loves to jump into it.

My 3 1/2 yo could do the older buckle. I ordered a replacement harness and it came with the new buckle. It is hard to do! My 6 1/2 yo can do it with no problems though. Maybe she can give me some pointers?

PikkuMyy

My son has a Maestro, Nautilus and Frontier 85. The Frontier 85 is definitely the easiest in all aspects. The Nautilus (old style buckle) is very easy for my 5 year old to buckle but I have to watch for twisting of the straps. The Maestro buckle takes a little extra muscle. Earlier today, my son did one side but the other side didn't click in all the way. I obviously check after he buckles himself so I pushed it in, but he didn't even notice.

I think the new Graco buckles are similar to the Evenflo buckles. That being said, I'm not sure that there's a low-cost easy-to-buckle combo seat. :\ If you can find a Nautilus with older style buckles, I'd go with that. I think the Evenflo buckle is doable for little hands but I'd have your child sit in the seat at a store and see if your child can do it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
M (5y2m) can unbuckle, rebuckle, and tighten herself in her Prosport so long as I loosen her harness before she starts the process. Since you have that already I'd probably start there.

mlohry

My boys could get in and out and even tighten there original Nautilus seats by the time they were just over 4, I'm sure it was well before 5.

My vote would be for the ProSport or Frontier. I found the new Nautilus buckles difficult myself, so a 4 yo may run into problems/frustration. I also found that they can almost appear buckled (crotch strap buckle) when they're not full 'clicked' and therefore can be pulled right back out of the main buckle housing. I always listen for the audible 'click' but a child buckling themselves may not. This may have just been my seat, but it made me uneasy regardless. You would get many years out of the Frontier and ProSport so either would be a great option. Yes they are pricey, but with the Frontier being such a tall booster, it would also make a great, easy to buckle option.

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC