Question kangaroo boosters

ADS

cmcki737

Thanks my friend thought they looked scarey and convinced a yard sale to sell her 2 for $5 to get them out of use. She is keeping them for the babies r us trade in event.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yeah. They are unsafe, recalled, and all expired now anyway.

I found a photo album of the kangaroo booster. It has plywood in it!!! (Is this someone here's album?)

http://photobucket.com/images/kangaroo booster car seat/

That's my album. :) I bought it at a yard sale to get it out of circulation, and of course, had to try my son in it and tear it apart to see what it was made out of. It was gross. And yes, had plywood in it. Very strange.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So what was unsafe about them?

I've never even seen one in real life, but the belt fit looks pretty good on those pictures, actually.

And how is a plywood and foam booster any weirder than, say, an inflatable Bubble Bum?

robbertbobbert

Brigala said:
So what was unsafe about them?

I've never even seen one in real life, but the belt fit looks pretty good on those pictures, actually.

And how is a plywood and foam booster any weirder than, say, an inflatable Bubble Bum?

It looks like there is no shoulder belt guide and the belt sits/wraps strangely there.

christineka

Here's what the recall info says about it:
Safety improvement campaign: The shoulder belts may not be properly located when the child is placed in the restraint. The shoulder belt guides may not help achieve correct seat belt placement. Do not use this booster if the shoulder belt does not touch the child's chest.
It's also more than 10 years old, so expired and don't use.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm not arguing in favor of its use... especially after 10 years... just curious about what made it unsafe/recalled.

So, basically it was unsafe if it didn't make the seat belt fit your kid correctly. Right? Any different from any other booster that may or may not fit a particular kid and a particular car correctly?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, pretty much (they are more or less safe, not cutely covered foam death traps). The Teddy Bear boosters were sort of similar, they had a slit for the shoulderbelt, and the velcro would shred the belt pretty bad, so that's why that one was recalled. Otherwise, Australian boosters looked like that up till pretty recently (I just found one on a really convoluted google search, too), but it's likely that the more shapely seats we have now probably are just superior on some newer crash test measurement. And fit a much wider range of kids way better (these little one piece things were a lot more common before people recognized the 5 step test, most only had 60lb weight limits and short height limits...)

finn

Otherwise, Australian boosters looked like that up till pretty recently (I just found one on a really convoluted google search, too), but it's likely that the more shapely seats we have now probably are just superior on some newer crash test measurement.

:yeahthat: you can still buy boosters similar to that here now, I doubt they have plywood in them however.

AustinMusic

Should anyone be interested, the Kangaroo seat is an evolution of the original Blanchard Booster Seat. Originating in Australia in 1982, the Blanchard Booster Seat was imported into the UK by a company called Gibson Automotive Ltd (who have long since disappeared). Although there were other booster seats on the market at that time, the Blanchard seat was, significantly, the first high back booster available in the UK. It went on sale in the week preceding Christmas in 1982 and cost £18; about $31 at the time.

The seat was described by Motor magazine as:

"Intended for use with a child harness or adult lap/diagonal seat belt...is made of high density foam with a removable washable cover and twin wings to support weary little heads and channels at the rear sides of the cushion to align correctly the lap part of the belt. Generously proportioned - the seat area is 400mm wide by 300mm deep and the total height of the backrest is 630mm - this Booster Seat is suitable for children aged 2 to 9 years."

Source: [Unnamed Author], "Booster Plus Backrest", Motor (18 December 1982), pp. 28

Exactly when it ceased to be available in the UK is a mystery as I am yet to find any other articles at all about the seat.

Anyway, I hope that's interesting to someone!!

E

easpbi

My son used a Kangaroo Booster Seat for ages. He LOVED it! He used it often to sit and watch TV on the floor. It raised him up enough so that the car seatbelt fit properly and it allowed him to see out the window. The high back allowed him to sleep comfortably in the car too. We had friends in France whose boy was not in a booster when they were involved in a car accident. The seat belt killed their child when it crossed his neck, breaking it during the crash.

mumof2

I have seen a few of those here in NZ...and I always wondered how the seatbelt would sit correctly across the shoulder?

Athena

The seat belt killed their child when it crossed his neck, breaking it during the crash.

Wow. That is so sad. I'd always read it was safe to have the belt on the neck a little, as sometimes happens even in a booster, but maybe this case was really extreme.

tiggercat

Wow. That is so sad. I'd always read it was safe to have the belt on the neck a little, as sometimes happens even in a booster, but maybe this case was really extreme.

Spinal damage/injury can be caused by inappropriate restraint, intrusion, ejection, contact with vehicle structures, submarining under the lap belt with the neck restrained by the shoulder belt, etc.
As tragic as the poor boy's injury is, it may not have been caused by poor shoulder belt positioning directly but rather as an overall convenience of lack of proper restraint.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

leighi123

I have one for ds and T. But I use it at the dining table so they can reach better (never in the car!!) It works great and is easy to wash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC