Prosport or Frontier 85??

Mirandagrate

DD is small. just turned 6 and is 40lbs, 44". infact, she rode FF for the first time today in her XTSL... I'm thinking of getting her a new seat and putting our almost 2 year old in the XTSL... I really, really like the prosport... I'm leaning toward it more than the frontier, but wanted some opinions.. thanks!

ADS

skylinphoto

For a kid that small (my just turned 6 yr old ds is 43-44in tall and nearing 40lbs..I have petite kids too hehe), id go with what you like. If I had to buy a harnessed seat for my ds (he's in a hbb and does great), id get a prosport..but then, I looove recaro.

ETA: that's assuming her torso height isn't massive..but, having just outgrown the xtsl rfing I wouldn't think it is. I think the top slots on the prosport are 18" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:

crunchierthanthou

Are you using LATCH or the seatbelt? I don't like the Prosport with seatbelt installations, but otherwise either would be fine. I'd maybe even consider a booster for a 40 lb 6 year old.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I agree that I'd consider a booster, if she has the maturity. If you want her harnessed, though, that's okay too.

My nanny-charge, M, sounds like she's similarly-sized as your DD -- just slightly more petite. She still has a bit of growth room (maybe .5" or 1" tops) in the RN and is 37ish pounds. This week I've had her FF in a ProSport, and we both like it a lot. She's even debating giving up her "pretty pink seat" (the RN) for it, although I'm not sure she actually gets to make that decision (due to logistics.)

It fits her well -- she's on the second-to-top harness height -- and she can buckle and unbuckle as long as the harness is loose. I reach back, lift the tab, have her lean forward and then she unbuckles herself, rebuckles when we get back in, and tightens it down herself. She has better carseat usage than many adults I know!

You definitely need to be aware of its limitations, but the funky seatbelt install doesn't bother me and I have enough kids in my care -- and seats to choose from -- that I just think of it as a seat with a 52lb harnessed limit (although with the serpentine belt path I would use it tetherless for a heavier child in a pinch, but it's not my first choice.) It has top slots similar to the GN, SK/Maestro, and original Frontier, so it should have good pass-down potential for your other two kids. I'm not sure how it fits petite kids in booster mode.

I got the ProSport because it was the only HWH seat that fit where I needed it, in a tight 3-across, but I have been surprised by how much I like it. It tends to be my go-to seat when I need to FF someone. It puzzles like it's designed to with a RF Coccoro, okay with an RA50, and not at all with a MR. As bizarre as the belt path is, once it's secure (it takes a bit of work) it's REALLY secure and all of the kids I've used in it (4-6 year olds, 35-57lbs) have reported it being comfortable. The sides are supportive and they sleep great in it, never seen any head slump. Harness adjuster is smooth.

HTH :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC