Vent All my hard work undone *cry*

PikkuMyy

My mom is in town. She's staying at my brother's house. Yesterday evening we switched cars because I already had a Nautilus and a RF Scenera installed for my son (5) and nephew (10 months) in my car and my mom was picking up my son from school today. I wouldn't trust my mom to install a seat but she has always buckled him in correctly.

I got to my brother's house after my training and my mom and SIL tell me they took the Scenera out to adjust the straps. Que :eek:

First of all, the straps were at the correct level where I had put them (2nd slot). My SIL put them in the 3rd slots and they were a little above his shoulders when I tried A (nephew) in it. There had been no reason to move the straps or to uninstall the seat! Second, they took the locking clip off and didn't properly tighten or lock the seat belt when they reinstalled. Gah! The seat was waaay too upright and they took the strap covers off my son's Nautilus and put them on the Scenera.

My mom will be watching my son tomorrow while I'm volunteering at a check event. She will also be transporting my brother, SIL and nephew in my car tomorrow. I managed to fit my nephew's Boulevard 70 next to the Nautilus. Hopefully that gets used correctly tomorrow. :whistle:: I checked that the harness was at the correct level before I put the seat in the car. I should probably tell my mom to make sure his harness is tightened properly on my nephew. It's unlikely she'll be the one buckling in the baby though. *sigh*

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I'd be ticked that they did anything that involved touching your SON'S seat. What they wanna do to mess up the install and use of their child's seat is one thing... but to take the shoulder pads off of your seat and put it on theirs... that's rude.

Not that I approve of the bad install or moving straps up... but straps above the shoulders when rf is the one I wouldn't probably argue in this case.

Keeanh

And on top of it all, if they REALLY thought the harness was wrong, it's easy to switch harness slots without uninstalling a RF seat :rolleyes:.

PikkuMyy

I'm surprised my son didn't say anything about the harness pads. Maybe he did but I wouldn't know. I can only assume my SIL did it for comfort, which is why I put the BLVD 70 in there now. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, the straps weren't like way above my nephew's shoulders. It was more like 1/4 inch above, but still. The straps would have been fine where they were. I think my SIL is used to the straps being somewhat below his shoulders but not WAY down because they have the BLVD 70 with no re-thread harness. *sigh*

I'd be ticked that they did anything that involved touching your SON'S seat. What they wanna do to mess up the install and use of their child's seat is one thing... but to take the shoulder pads off of your seat and put it on theirs... that's rude.

Not that I approve of the bad install or moving straps up... but straps above the shoulders when rf is the one I wouldn't probably argue in this case.

PikkuMyy

That was exactly what I told both of them! I was nice about it but my SIL kind of blew me off. I took the seat, loosened the harness all the way and showed my mom how the straps come off the splitter plate. If I had thought they'd need to mess with the harness, I would have shown how to do that ahead of time. I didn't think anyone would touch the seat!!

And on top of it all, if they REALLY thought the harness was wrong, it's easy to switch harness slots without uninstalling a RF seat :rolleyes:.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If I lent someone my car so that they wouldn't have to mess with carseats, and then they messed with my carseats, I would go BANANAS on them. That's sixty-seven different kinds of rude. And WTF, SIL's kid "gets" the harness pads and your son just does without? (Not that I think it's a big deal, really, but who thinks "Well kid x's neck needs padding, I'll just steal kid y's!")

jacqui276

That is terrible. I would be ticked. They shouldn't be trying to adjust or change anything on the car seats without reading the directions for that seat and knowing what they are doing.

Although, I have touched my sister's seats when transporting her kids because the harness was WAYY too loose. It resulted in the older one (who was 2 or 3 at the time) whining that her straps were too tight for an hour long car trip but I was driving on the highway and could have folded their straps multiple times over when buckled in. The littler one didn't mind and quickly fell asleep. I'd like to think that I was improving their safety instead of compromising it though. Hopefully your mom and SIL don't touch the seats anymore!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC