I need help...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Either something is wrong with my ra55 or I am a total idiot. Is there anybody (tech or not) in the Portland, OR area who is adept with the blankety-blank next gen Britax lock-offs? I cannot get them to work to save my life. I have read all the instructions, watched all the videos, tried all the tricks, I can find the "sweet spot," and I can't make them work. I would love to not have to mess with a locking clip in my '93 pickup. But tonight I gave up and installed my ca65 in the truck instead because the britax doesn't apparently even allow a locking clip as an option. In my other cars I just lock the belt, and so far all the checks I've done with britax seats have been latch installs.

DH can barely get them to work either, and not at all if the belt is tight.

I need to know once and for all whether it's my seat that's defective or the users. I need help.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Close enough we could probably get together if she's so inclined. Not close... But she comes up this way now and then.

caritas

Close enough we could probably get together if she's so inclined. Not close... But she comes up this way now and then.

I have a BVLD and it's a PITB, but I usually use both hands, pushing down on the "bump" as well as halfway down the bar part really hard.

I'm not a tech, but you can play with mine for comparison if you'd like.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I run my thumb along the length back and forth until it goes. It often takes several tries.

crunchierthanthou

What's your DOM? They seriously sucked for the first few months. They changed the design slightly and they're much better now. I don't have any problems closing the new style. I just make sure the belt sections aren't too close to the hinge and press with the heel of my hand. I think you can call and ask for new ones (but I never have).

I run my thumb along the length back and forth until it goes. It often takes several tries.

and excuse me, but that's what she said. :p

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I hate those lock offs! I just installed my RA55 for a friends son yesterday and cursed those darn things. I'm in Vancouver and I know Judi was planning on coming up this weekend.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think my DOM is... gosh... maybe August '11? I don't know, I'd have to check again. I know it's just outside the window of the "screw loose" problem. LOL.

I don't mind the idea of having to have several tries, but when I come in with a sore back and sore hands and sore thumbs and still don't have my seat install that's just over the top silly. DH can barely get it shut (and he has big, strong hands) and only if the seat belt is loose. Get even the tiniest bit of tension on it, and he can't tighten it at all. But a loose seat belt does nobody any good. I was told to cinch it up after the lock off was closed, but all it does then is pop it back open.

I guess a call to Britax may be in order to see if they can replace the lock-offs??

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I wanna play!! I'm off tomorrow and will be off by 3 Saturday!

Ooh!

I live about as far away from you as one can get in the metro area, but I am going to Tigard tomorrow evening. :)

I intend to NOT leave the house until I have to go to Tigard tomorrow. I made the mistake of spending about half an hour outside today and the pollen kicked my ass.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yeah, I've tried them in all three of my vehicles. At least in the other two I can lock the belts as an alternative.

cmm7

Are you tightening the belt before locking them off? I just saw Sarah Tilton present and she said they will NOT close if you install the seat, make it tight, then try to close them. Rather you need to buckle the seatbelt, close the lockoff, then tighten the seatbelt. They are designed so that one layer of webbing can slide through them. So once it is closed, pull on the lap belt to install the seat tightly, then pull up on the shoulder belt to remove the slack.

Hope this helps!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have a BVLD and it's a PITB, but I usually use both hands, pushing down on the "bump" as well as halfway down the bar part really hard.

I'm not a tech, but you can play with mine for comparison if you'd like.

Where are you located? Playdate at my house this afternoon... I live in Damascus (almost in Boring).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Are you tightening the belt before locking them off? I just saw Sarah Tilton present and she said they will NOT close if you install the seat, make it tight, then try to close them. Rather you need to buckle the seatbelt, close the lockoff, then tighten the seatbelt. They are designed so that one layer of webbing can slide through them. So once it is closed, pull on the lap belt to install the seat tightly, then pull up on the shoulder belt to remove the slack.

Hope this helps!

Tried that. They just pop open when you tug on the seat belt.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Which check are you doing tomorrow, Judi? I'm signed up for the one in Wood Village. Although if DH has to work tomorrow I may end up not having anyone to watch LO (the boys are going camping for the weekend).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC