Convertible car seat for 1998 VW Jetta

KaitlynSarah

My son just turned 5 months and is about 19 lbs give or take. We have the Chicco Keyfit 22, so it's time to start looking for a new car seat.
Here's the problem. We drive a 1998 VW Jetta and my husband is 6'2 and I am 5'6 which means his seat needs to be pretty far back.
Since I seem to produce big babies, I need a car seat that has a high RF weight limit.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

ADS

tam_shops

It isn't just about the rear facing weight limit, the Britax seats (for example) have a great high 40# RF limit, but the shell of that seat, is not tall enough to support a typical 40# child. Meaning, my 6yo is almost 4# but my 3yo has been too tall for that seat for over a year now.

So, that explained, you are going to need a compact seat and you are going to need to try a few.

Personally, I'd try one of the Britax seats and the Truefit. I know the TF only has a 35# RF weight limit, but it has a taller shell than hte Britax seats so if your child is tall/thin, he'll actually last longer in the TF than the Britax seat.

My other suggestion would be looking at and trying the Radian. You'll have to check your car manual and see if VW lets you brace or lean the Radian against your VW seats (I don't know off the top of my head). If that is aloud, then you may get away w/ making it work for the next 6 months, then get an angle adjuster to make the Radian more upright and you more comfortable.

tam

dragonfly8

Yes to everything Tam said, but I'd also like to add in the Complete Air. It has a nice tall shell, 40lb rear facing limit, 65lb FF limit, and seems to fit compactly enough.

What province are you in? Perhaps someone might have a seat for you to pop in your car to see what will fit?

skylinphoto

I had a rfing radian in my 99 passat. Behind the driver braced. If I recall (don't have the vehicle anymore), you couldn't brace against the passenger seat.

KaitlynSarah

Thank you for all the feedback so far.
So far at 5 months, my son is both heavy and tall.
I'm in BC and the babies R us here let's you try it out in your car. Same with Baby's World I think.
I keep hearing about the Radian... the only thing that puts me off is the price. But it's looking like that may be the best fit.

canadiangie

Thank you for all the feedback so far.
So far at 5 months, my son is both heavy and tall.
I'm in BC and the babies R us here let's you try it out in your car. Same with Baby's World I think.
I keep hearing about the Radian... the only thing that puts me off is the price. But it's looking like that may be the best fit.

No, a Radian is probably last on the list for a small car unless baby is old enough that an Angle Adjuster can be used. The Radian takes up an incredible amount of front to back space when rear facing. Now it might puzzle between the front seats if you install it in the middle, but that assumes you get a good install. The Radian can be tough to install with a seatbelt.

I'd be looking at the TrueFit because it has seatbelt lock-offs and tends to fit great in small spaces. Ive put one in a Golf and it was great. I know it only has a 35lb rf limit, but that gets most kids to age 3+. I guess it comes down to how long you want to rear face for, but I'm just not convinced that the TF's 35lb rf limit is a deal breaker. :)

tam_shops

The Truefit has been seen at Zellers for ~$100.

TRU/BRU has the others
Radian and Britax seats--both way more money

MyRide
Complete air

I've seen the CA at Walmart for less $$, but remember it has something like a 36" height restriction on it.

If he's tall and heavy and you want to RF past 3yo, then I'd first try the Radian AND see if it fits between the seats (as Angie explained), if it does not, then you're going to have to try something else.

Do *not* buy a seat from somewhere you can not return it w/ out trying it in your car first, our d/c lady has a Jetta and it's a really tight back seat and getting even a Scenera in there is almost impossible w/ the seats the way she has them-back so she can drive and b/c she puts a child passenger in the front sometimes.

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC