To buy or not to buy (Evenflo Serenade?

jmwesterman

We found out a few weeks ago we are expecting baby #2. With my daughter I had a Graco Snugride and loathed it (the back adjust was awful). So we decided with this one we would buy a new infant seat. Anyway Sams has the Evenflo Serenade for $49 right now. I haven't heard much about this seat and dont know if its worth considering.My question is should I snag it while it's a good price or wait it out and see if anything else price drops throughout the year? This will most likely be our last child so I'm not worried about the seat life sitting at my house for the next 7 months.

ADS

katymyers

I've never liked any of Evenflo's infant seat personally. I agree that the rear adjusting snugride sucks and I wouldn't use one of those either. But if you like the seat go for it, that's a great deal, just make sure it's not a rear adjusting seat too.

Kat_Momof3

all evenflo infant seats (so far... HINT anyone from evenflo who ever comes here) have the horrible rule that the the handle must be all the way down AND that it must be 1.5" from the front seat.

I remember reading they were going to change it on certain seats, but anyway.

Also, evenflo seats just don't fit on other brand strollers nearly as easily as graco/chicco do simply because of how the seat is designed to attach to a stroller.

Graco now has lots of front adjusts.

Now granted, the price is GREAT and if you have a roomy vehicle where room for that handle is no issue, then if you like the seat and it installs well, go for it.

kaleigh71

all evenflo infant seats (so far... HINT anyone from evenflo who ever comes here) have the horrible rule that the the handle must be all the way down AND that it must be 1.5" from the front seat.

I remember reading they were going to change it on certain seats, but anyway.

Also, evenflo seats just don't fit on other brand strollers nearly as easily as graco/chicco do simply because of how the seat is designed to attach to a stroller.

Graco now has lots of front adjusts.

Now granted, the price is GREAT and if you have a roomy vehicle where room for that handle is no issue, then if you like the seat and it installs well, go for it.

:yeahthatlove:

As someone (probably the only one here) who has their child in a Serenade (and only because I won it), I'll say I probably would look elsewhere if your budget allows for a front adjust, but mainly because of the stupid handle and clearance rules. It isn't a bad seat, and it does install easily, but if either of those things would be an issue I wouldn't get it. The handle thing drives me CRAZY and I have forgotten to put it down more than once. :mad: I don't know yet how long it will last DS2, but he is nearing 13 pounds with a fairly long torso and seems to have lots of room to grow taller.

The other annoying thing I have recently encountered is that the straps are somewhat close together and Evenflo does not carry strap covers for it to keep them from rubbing on DS2's fat neck! :mad::mad: I e-mailed Evenflo on this one, and it doesn't look like an easy feat to try to get the straps undone so you can put thin socks on them...I won't even attempt it.

I have only used the seat in a Joovy Caboose, so I don't know how it would fit in other strollers. With the Caboose I can't put the stroller sunshade all the way over the Serenade because the sides protrude where the seat belt path is, but that isn't really a problem considering the huge sunshade on the Serenade.

If I had been able to sell the seat I would have gotten something else but that didn't happen, so...

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Graco front adjust are SO much easier than rear adjust. I love the Graco front adjust infant seats and the Chicco Keyfit 30s are my favorite.

Those are the two I'd recommends if the budget allows. The Safety 1st OnBoard (and OnBoard Air) with front adjust are a favorite too.

jmwesterman

Thanks everyone! I had heard about the handle and the clearance rule and while not the best I know it would work in my car. The one thing I haven't thought about was stroller compatibility. I think I will wait it out. Great price, but maybe not worth some of the headache that comes with it. I learned my lesson last time with the snugride I found on clearance for $29.99. An ok seat just a pain to adjust. I think I will def save my money for one you guys recommended.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC