Question Reusing GN

mburks26

My 2nd is arriving this yr in Sept. I know I have at least 3 years to worry about this but need to save money as best we can.
My dd has a GN date 2008 model the bottom is good til 12/31/2017 right.
If I was to replace the head part back part could I reuse the bottom til that date with all the new parts? What about the harness and chest clip and buckles and crotch buckle? Graco sent me a full harness set don't remember when but it has not been used at all is would that be good or do I need to replace since it most likley will be over 6 yrs old.
I was looking at replacement parts and it seems like almost all of the GNs parts have been out of stock for a while

ADS

Brianna

Yes, you can rebuild a GN piece by piece, just be sure to always go with the closest expiration date.

3 years from now, the GN may be a discontinued model and you may be able to get one awesomely priced on clearance. Or there could be another super awesome very budget friendly seat out by then.

hedgefun

Related question: Is the bottom good in its entirety or only when it's used as a NBB? I don't remember the wording from the manual, and I'm not sure if it's necessary to even get that technical. Any thoughts? Would there be any concern over the integrity of the bottom part to hold the crotch buckle in the event of a crash if used in the 6-9 year range?

Brianna

That's an interesting point hedgefun. In the discussions I've seen about rebuilding Nauti's here before, I can't recall that being brought up.

For what it's worth, the Argos, and possibly the new GN's (I can't recall) have a 10 year from DOM expiration for the entire seat- harness and all. I wonder if there have been structural changes in the 'backless' portion of the seat that allow an extra 4 years of use for the harness.

lovemybabies924

I wouldn't do it... We don't know for sure if the area around the crotch buckle was made to last as long as the part that takes crash forces in lbb mode

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC