Do I want to swap my FR 85's for Radians?

glockchick

Be warned! This is long and kinda rambly. ;)

I love my FRs with a purple passion, but they're so big.

Caleb doesn't need the height. He's got a 14" torso at 4 years, 3 months old. :p I'll keep one for the middle of the suburban, but Kaleigh's in it now so I could just keep that one and a boy cover and by the time he outgrows the BLVD, she should be in a booster so he can use that FR. However, last time I tried, I couldn't get a good install with the FR there. I've done it before so I know it can be done, but it's a PITA. I think I need to flip the buckle.

I have a FR 85 in my car and one for my mom's right now. I'm having to keep him outboard in my civic to make room for other occasional riders. With the RN, I could keep him center and still have room on the sides. I'm not gonna move his seat center to outboard all the time because it's rare I have other riders. Usually when I have to pick up one of the younger kids from school when they're sick and stuff.

The RN installs well in both my civic and my mom's tahoe. I prefer the cup holders, smooth harness, and awesome fabrics of the FR, but I don't like having to get him around the armrests. He always ends up stepping on the seat to get in and that drives me nuts. :eek: Theoretically he could rear face until he's around 7 in a RN. :p In reality, he'd probably throw a fit and want to go back FFing and at 4+ I'm ok with FFing him.

I don't like the head wings on the RN. I had one and was constantly having to shove them up every time he got in the car. I could get an R120 or R100, but I really want him to have as much protection as possible in my itty bitty civic so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable without head wings.

Then there's the fact that I don't really trust Diono. With all their issues with super latch and duct tape and other random advice.... I think the seat is safe, but I don't approve of their CS at all. Not to mention all the after market products they sell like the mighty tite. It feels like it would be hypocritical to buy one of their seats when I don't approve of the company's behavior.

Britax has always had over the top CS with me. I've owned a LOT of Britax seats and have never had a problem calling them up and getting stuff solved.

So I guess it's do I give up seats I love for one I don't really care for because it fits my situation the best? WWYD?

(It doesn't help that I'm getting the car seat itch... Lol! :eek:)

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd get a Radian. I think that Diono is really working to improve their CS and trust from their customers. It fits well in the cars you need it to. I have the one with head wings but am more than comfortable with one without head wings.

You could make a FR85 work, but it sounds like it would be more of a hassle.

glockchick

Even in such a tiny car? My other car is a 4x4 Suburban so I'm used to having them all safely in a tank. The car feels like a sardine can in comparison. :ROTFLMAO:

glockchick

What about those big metal belt guides? Only one of the other kids is in a HBB so the rest of them would have their heads right by those guides. :eek:

I suppose I could duct tape some foam around them. ;)

glockchick

I know, right?!? I'd forgotten to untill I started shopping.

I guess if I could find an SK Radian on swap that would work but they don't pop up that often.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wonder if there's a way to take them off. I don't think they're meant to be taken off, so if you did, you would basically be removing the ability to use the seat as a booster.

bnsnyde

I know with me I bought all Radians and they are great, and we rear-face a long time. But at some point FF the kids just won't fit ideally in them anymore. My 5-year-old is (almost) even with the top slots. I can keep using it but I prefer the Frontier85. This way I know it'll last him until the end...he can probably harness until 8 and then booster in it for years.

With the Frontier85 I have no worries of them outgrowing anything because, well, it's the biggest seat on the market!

I like the Radians more for side-impact protection so want to use them as long as I can, though. Tough choices.

Last edited:

glockchick

I said "more than comfortable." :) I meant I am comfortable using one with or without head wings (if that makes sense).

:eek: That's what I get for reading with the 4 year old tugging at me. lol

I think I may just get one RN for the civic and keep the FR that gets used in my mom's car. He'll (hopefully) be in school next year so I won't be driving him near as often anyway. *sniff*

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If the head wings are slipping, you should be able to fix that by tightening the nut or get them replaced. I had faulty head wings on an XTSL and Sunshine Kids replaced them for me. I do NOT have trouble with the head wings slipping on my RXT; in fact I have to wrestle with them to get them to move when they need to be adjusted.

I have an 80SL in my Civic (center install) and an RXT in my Suburban (outboard install). If I had her outboard in my Civic I'd swap them and put her in head wings, but since she's RF in the Civic the head wings actually reduce my visibility a little so I kind of like not having them in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC