Can I justify them?

opaque1997

Ok - so this is an opinion question.

Situation - 6' tall husband, 5'4" (me) - we drive a 2006 Forester (me) and a 2003 WRX (him) - 90% of the time we take the forester if its more then just one of us.

Baby is due in October.

DH will take baby to daycare in the morning in WRX - I will pick up in Forester - again 90% of family trips will be in the Forester.

We are getting an onboard air 35 FREE (which I have used in my car (exact seat) - and it doesn't allow a LOT of room for passenger - but DH has done it and its not HORRID.

We have a Radian - I've put it rear in the middle of my car - its ok - but not great - hoping to stave it off until I can use the angle adjuster.

I have 2 cocorros in my pocession (just bought at Kohls sale - so good prices) I'm in LOVE - I mean LOVE. Installs behind passenger seat in WRX with enough room for me to be comfortable in the front seat. DH is already complaining about taking bucket in and out (keep in mind - he's done it twice EVER and has never had an infant or buckled a kid into a carseat - so BIG grain of salt)

My car has more room front to back and I can install CC behind my seat without moving my seat. Here's my deal

Can I justify keeping both CCs? - I spent $130 (I think) on one and $150 on the other. In my car - I can do the onboard - and then I suppose if we took a longer trip I could swap it for the CC right? and use the CC in the WRX when he's done with the onboard?

Humm.. what are the shell heights and grow outs in CC versus the onboard 35?

At some point I'll have to get another rear seat for the WRX - but we plan on having two kids (if I win close to 3 years apart - if DH wins - closer to 1 year apart - again never been around kids much so he's .. umm.. crazy?)

So.. WWYD? Keeping in mind - for now these are the only carseat purchases I'd need to make for hopefully a year or more.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think you'll get a lot of use out of something with what you have now.

4688639818_a487734a53_z.jpg

They're pretty much the same size. The Coccoro does forward face, so that's something for it.

Have you tried the onBoard in the middle of both of your cars? It should work very well. I've put it in a 1989 Subaru GL with super tall parents (both over 6') and it fit beautifully.

If you end up having another baby within a year or 18 months, then maybe the Coccoros and Radian and onBoard will all get used. Otherwise, nah, I'd return or sell something.

Wendy

opaque1997

Ok I think the 'good' thing to do would be to return one of them.. (or give to a friend / my parents / sell / etc) The onboard is a GREAT seat and I do love it.

Its a 'big enough' bucket that I feel even if I left it in my car - I'd use it to the 'max' and then would be ready for the radian with angle adjuster..

My husband though.. I think I can justify it (Sucks that the super ultra cute seat will be in his car!)

vangelder03

I would sell or return both coccoro's and get a second base for the onboard 35.
just leave the seat at the daycare to use when you do pick up.
wait til baby needs a new seat and buy 2 convertibles that will last alot longer.

opaque1997

Husband is very clear he wants a seat in his car as a standalone - we have the 2nd base - I'm for sure that we'll use one of the ccs.. its just the 2nd one I'm trying to justify :)

vangelder03

Husband is very clear he wants a seat in his car as a standalone - we have the 2nd base - I'm for sure that we'll use one of the ccs.. its just the 2nd one I'm trying to justify :)

then i would keep both keep those installed in your cars and use the infant
seat as her spare seat or use the infant seat and keep the coccoro as a spare my ds will be 2 in august and just barely moved up to the second slot
so depending on the child it could last quite some time

skylinphoto

Id sell the infant seat and keep the coccoros.

But, I loooooooove the coccoro. Like, both my kids have long since outgrown mine and its still sitting in my closet because I can't bring myself to sell it. Lol. I love it.

lovemybabies924

i would use the onboard for the first 6months or so, then use the CCO's in both cars :) save the radian for when the baby outgrows the cco's. or if u have the money i would sell the radian now and buy 2 radians to use with angle adjusters rearfacing when the baby is done with the cco's then u can use the ccos for the next baby

opaque1997

I'm actually leaning back to keeping all the seats (I like to have the radian (bought it late last year) for various kids I have in and out of my car) - I don't feel right about selling the onboard - and I really think I will use it when the baby is young.

I worry that I won't use the onboard air to 1 year and I really want to keep the radian out of rf mode without the angle adjuster.. so I think.. I might just splurge and keep them both. I mean really? $280 for carseats for a newborn through potentially 2 years old? CHEAP (yeah I know I don't have to spend it - but I really think I will LOVE the CCO and if I decide / become a baby wearing I may ditch the onboard early)

lovemybabies924

my daughter is 16months and i still have her snugride 35 because if her diaper leaks in the car-seat or she pukes or soemthing its nice to be able to toss her in the bucket if we have to go somewhere before i could wash the seat or install her spare convertible :) she uses a radian rxt and a CCO in my car..depending on my mood ;)

opaque1997

lovemybabies - you aren't helping my carseat addiction - but I think I might allow myself to keep them both - I have a what will be 4 year old niece, 1 year old nephew, and then best friend has what will be 1 year, 4 year old and 6 year old and its not uncommon to have them (some combo) in my car - so I think I can justify it...

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would sell one of the CCOs. You can use one for DH and then the OnBoard Air in your car. They will probably both be outgrown at the same time, and then you can get two convertibles for your cars.

opaque1997

I say keep them! (but don't listen to me, I'm a car seat hoarder!:evil grin:)

I think I'm keeping them both - they have arrived and they are 2/2012 dated - which means I'm good until 2/2019 right? (didn't I read that CCOs are good for 7 years?)

In that case I"ll def have a second kid - and in our cars - compact easy - good carseats (CCO and Radians) are critical :)

And... I'm starting to become a carseat addict :):D

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'd probably keep both CCOs but might not open them both - to preserve their retail value in case you change your mind.

Then I'd try the OB for a while and see how it works in practice. Your DH may change his mind very very quickly.

If not, and if you end up using the CCO in both vehicles, drop the OB off at the day care in case the child needs to be transported in an emergency or picked up by someone else such as a grandparent or friend. Even though most day care situations don't take babies places... emergencies happen. What if someone needs to drive the baby to the emergency room or something? Or one of you shows up to pick up the baby and suddenly remembers you took the CCO out for... I don't know... cleaning the cover or something. There's a real advantage to having an infant bucket for day care.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
And by the way, my daughter still fits in the CCO but has outgrown the OB. I would estimate she's got about 6 months more use out of the CCO for RF.

opaque1997

And by the way, my daughter still fits in the CCO but has outgrown the OB. I would estimate she's got about 6 months more use out of the CCO for RF.

THANK YOU! I think that just SEALED my deal!! :) I really tihnk I'm keeping them both - they have DOB of 2/2012 and I think they are good for nine years - We plan on having two.. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC