Advice about becoming a tech

Boot

Hi everyone. It's in the back of my mind that I might like to become a car seat tech at some point. According to the listing on this site there seems to be none in my area (North Vancouver, BC). There isn't anywhere easy or free to get your seats checked that I can find. I'd love to be able to provide that service but I don't want to make a career of it or anything. So here are my questions.

• How long does it take to certify and how much does it cost?
  • Once certified, what do you do next if you don't want to start your own business? Just offer to check friends and neighbours and let the word spread?
  • Is it typical to offer checks for free, by donation or for a fee? I'd want to at least cover my costs.
  • Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance.

ADS

mommycat

Hi, so great to hear you are interested. :) I am not as sure about the situation in BC, though we have a few BC techs (QuassEE, others) who will hopefully chime in.

The course itself, when I took it, was 3 days classroom and a clinic. My course was spread out over Saturdays and my cost was covered, but that is not always the case, I think.

My options here were to work with our local volunteer group which was active at the time and did occasional advertised clinics, usually with slots filled by appointment. I have also done info sessions and booths at baby fairs, etc, answer questions online and by phone. I have printed business cards and hand them out or leave them places to get contact info out. I am not that active locally because I have limited time (work, kids). Friends and neighbors, etc.

I do not charge, even for costs (small as they are), but will not turn down a donation. I do not ask for them, though. If I start doing more, I may start to ask $$ for supplies like noodles, or gas money if it is far.

Gotta run but hope that helps!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
British Columbia has two options for becoming certified--there's a national program and a provincial program. The national program is run by CPSAC. The provincial program is the BCTSF curriculum in association with JIBC. The cost can vary depending on instructor, program, and so forth. I believe the JI 1 day course is around $150. I just ran a CPSAC course about two weeks ago for Lower Mainland Car-seat.org members and I ran that course at a special rate. One of the instructors in BC has typically charged $450-$500 for her courses. Admittedly, she has more experience and has generally had business contracts. I personally think that this amount is cost prohibitive for most stay at home moms--who tend to be the biggest advocates for child passenger safety.

How long:
JIBC - 1 day; CPSAC - 3 days. Both numbers including the 1/2 day clinic.
What next:
You can do advocacy in real life and online. You can check seats (the CPSAC registration comes with liability insurance) for whomever you choose, although you'll want to pair up for a while at first to get more experience. You can do parent education sessions (I have a slideshow I can provide). You can volunteer with the health unit, fire department, etc. You are required to stay current, and the CPSAC will monitor that you're staying active as a technician.
Offering checks for fee:
I know people who charge $0, $20, $25, $30, and even $40 for checks. Again, you'll want to get more experience before you're charging for checks. Most technicians who charge have at least a year or two under their belts before they're in a position to be charging for their services. Think of the profession as being similar to becoming a doctor, a teacher, etc. You don't go out and perform surgery the day you get out of med school...you don't generally get into your own classroom once you get your B.Ed....etc.
Anything else:
It's a great course and a great community, but it's also very frustrating and under-appreciated. Car crashes are the #1 cause of death among children and yet our government structures itself such that child passenger safety is grossly underfunded, if funded at all. Carseat technicians save lives, and saving lives (and reducing injuries) saves money. It actually makes me mad to hear about this childhood disease or that childhood disease on the radio, because I know that if they'd given me even a small percentage of that advertising budget to do what I do, I'd save more lives and more MSP/taxpayer dollars. It's frustrating. And thankless, much of the time.

Where I am now--I really am starting to see that people don't value a free service. I would encourage technicians, once experienced enough to go solo or in pairs, to charge for their services just like any other professional charges for their services. Value yourself, and others will value you more. Admittedly, I don't charge, however..but I find it frustrating how people will fail to show up, cancel at the last minute, expect me to drive to them (I do, if they would otherwise have to transport a child in an unsafe manner, of course), etc., because it's "free". A lot of them mistakenly think I'm somehow funded by the government or employed by BCAA, I suppose...

-Nicole.

V

VanIsleMommy

I'm a new tech on the island, what i have said is that there is no charge for my services, i do accept donations however it is not mandatory. So far people have offered around $20 which i have put into business cards, poster printing costs, pool noodles, gas etc. If someone couldnt pay for a check i would never turn them away but at the same time this is time out of my day that i have to arrange childcare etc.

smackeen

Great idea!

I'm a new tech on the island, what i have said is that there is no charge for my services, i do accept donations however it is not mandatory. So far people have offered around $20 which i have put into business cards, poster printing costs, pool noodles, gas etc. If someone couldnt pay for a check i would never turn them away but at the same time this is time out of my day that i have to arrange childcare etc.

mommycat

Yeah, I really need to start a policy of telling people donations are welcome. I do buy noodles, print stuff out, get my business cards and display supplies... Good idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC