what am I going to do about kicking?!

KaiLing

I'm about to have an RF 3 and a half year old and a newborn in a Mazda 3. My fearless big 3 year old kicks me when I'm in the back sometimes. He knows he's acting out, I get out and get in the front if possible, there are other consequences if that's not (the tall husband has to sit in the back). It's currently a time-to-time discipline situation that's consistently managed, but...

what in the world am I going to do about having a newborn back there?! When they're alone they'll both be outboard, but I'm not convinced the 42" kid can't get his legs all the way across. I'm pretty sure there'll be a learning curve here, but how do I survive it?

(Or am I doing that thing where you freak out about something stupid before you have a baby because it's easier than freaking out about the Giant Scary Change that's coming?)

ADS

Brianna

I didn't know you were expecting- congrats!

IIRC, your DS has a long torso, so for his height I'm not sure he'd be able to kick all the way across the back seat and into another car seat. You could check the next time you're in the car just how far his leg stretches.

mommycat

What seats will they be in? Most likely the seat shells and the fact that the baby will be sitting back in the car seat as opposed to near the vehicle seat back will offer good protection at least initially when the infant is most vulnerable and your older child is not yet ready/able to comply with reasoning and discipline. I think it is easy to kick us, but his legs won't be able to bend back towards where the baby will be. If he manages to kick at baby's legs, pile on some blankets for cushioning while you figure out what works to solve the issue. Make sure you remove his shoes, too! And, he may be more gentle with baby and love his baby sibling differently than he does you. :D

Congrats and good luck!

NVMBR02

My almost 3 year old is a kicker too. I have found that she can kick her brother and sister who both ride in boosters when she is right next to them but she can't kick them if there is a space in the middle. I have also found she can not kick another rear facing child. She was able to be net to my friend's 18 month old without any issues.

Jessica61624

I vote duct tape also!

I'm facing the same issue with #3 coming soon. DS and DD kick each other all the time. They're currently both out board.

Kat_Momof3

well I'd definitely have both of them outboard and if you HAVE to put someone back there with them, turn the 3yr old ff for those trips (Only because the kid is already over 3yrs old and/or will be by the time baby arrives)

what seat is the 3yr old in? I ask this because the only time my kids were able to kick each other was when Jeffrey was ff in the MA (classic) and Ruthie was rf in the scenera... it's much harder for rf kids to kick each other when both are rf, but when one is one way and one is the other (and your 4yr old gets mad because his sister flings her leg over the side and it touches him), it's another story.

Now, if he'd been in a (not on the market back then) Radian, that seat sits much lower and he wouldn't have been able to kick her.

msg221

I was also going to mention what seat he is riding in. I see you have an XTSL, so that might be easier for him to get his leg over to kick. I do love the TFP and MR for their high sides, for that reason!

I have had to put Nour in the center, RF, when I had to do a 3 across in my car with both her brother and cousin FF. Thankfully, she kept her limbs to herself and they left her alone as well, so it was a peaceful trip!

KaiLing

Thanks folks. Seriously considering duct tape.

He's in his MT in that car, and his legs are growing, but he's still got my monster torso, so maybe he won't be able to reach. The baby will be in a CCO, and I have no idea how a kid sits in that--it's only been in the car once to check the fit and I totally forget how big newborns are. He'll go FF pretty soon here in a Radian, but then I've got to keep him from, I don't know, hitting the baby with a book? Smothering him with a blanket? Drawing on his face? I think two RFers is probably easier in terms of baby-smothering.

I seriously doubt he'll be able to reach in the Accord, so I suppose if it's a huge deal we can just completely switch out the way we use the cars and make the Accord the all-kid-all-the-time car.

Who thought having children was a good idea, again?

opaque1997

Just a thought.. how does he react to your belly bump? My g/f's 3 year old is a tyrant.. seriously bully material (I think because she's super small for her age) - BUT when its her baby brother - not only would she not smack or kick him - she will put herself between her and the kid.. I think part of it is Jaime started early - there is a baby in there - be gentle with the baby.. etc.

(now there is always jealousy....)

I don't know - just something to think about - kicking you is one thing - kicking a baby.. might not be a concern..

ElfJewel

When my ds was 3 he started kicking his 5yo sister(we were trying her out ff). She decided she didn't want to be kicked any more so we turned her back rf. He couldn't reach her any more. So I don't think he will be able to reach the baby even if he does have a kicking fit.

Kat_Momof3

Opaque gives me an idea... what about getting a newborn-sized baby doll (if you don't already have one) and seeing what will happen to it in that car? put it in the cco and tell your 3yr old that that's where HIS new baby brother/sister is going to sit and so we need to make sure baby will be safe... so we have to practice being a good big brother.

If you hear anything bouncing off the baby doll's head, you'll know you are in trouble... but I bet he proves to be better than you expect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC