Great video showing projectiles

ADS

cookie123

Oh, that makes me feel a little sick.

A girl I work with just got in an accident on the way home from work, right in the neighborhood of the hospital. She's in a halo cast - she had a C-spine fracture - Not sure which #.

jennlana

What does everyone with an suv do about their strollers in the trunk? At a Carseat Inspection, I was told that it could become a projectile object. I'm thinking of ordering a Pet Barrier for my Expedition. (We also have a Golden Retriever who rides in the car sometimes.)

finn

That add is showing at the moment, its funded by our Land Transport Safety Authority & it makes me cringe & clean out my car every time I see it :eek:

krystin_21a

Must clean out car! Thank you! I am the queen of projectiles. I keep a duffle with soft items like coats and hats, but I also have karate gear and baseball bats that should come out.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
What does everyone with an suv do about their strollers in the trunk? At a Carseat Inspection, I was told that it could become a projectile object. I'm thinking of ordering a Pet Barrier for my Expedition. (We also have a Golden Retriever who rides in the car sometimes.)

You can get a cargo net or secure it with tie downs. Your dog really should be restrained or he will become a projectile in an accident as well. There are pet harness systems available. I don't know about the pet barrier or its crash worthiness.

Little Ps Mama

Thanks for sharing! Projectiles are an ongoing issue for us that we're working on correcting.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

thepote

Well that's more graphic than I'm comfortable sharing on FB :(

I'm especially saddened to see when people keep books and things on their rear window ledge... right at head level!

Brianna

Thanks. I just showed this to my step-mom, and asked her to compare the apple to their 70+ pound dogs that ride unrestrained in the back seat. I hope they end up harnessing the dogs...

jennlana

You can get a cargo net or secure it with tie downs. Your dog really should be restrained or he will become a projectile in an accident as well. There are pet harness systems available. I don't know about the pet barrier or its crash worthiness.

Thanks! I'm going to be harnessing him in too!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thanks. I just showed this to my step-mom, and asked her to compare the apple to their 70+ pound dogs that ride unrestrained in the back seat. I hope they end up harnessing the dogs...

If that doesn't convince her, point out that in a crash, an unrestrained dog can easily jump out a broken window and get hit by a car or attack someone trying to approach the car to help her. There have been cases where police have had to shoot a dog that was guarding an owner that was critically injured.

monstah

Car cleaned, check. :)

jennlana said:
Thanks! I'm going to be harnessing him in too!

Check out the Bergan! It's perfect for us and there have been a few threads about it and the Pet Buckle here if you want to search older threads. HTH!

Last edited:

ZanesMom

Wow. This reminds me that I need to find a better way to secure my audiobooks, screening kit, laptop, portable filing cabinet...

Also, my mom was in a recent accident and had a can on Lysol in her van. It's wedged under one of the front seats and the auto shop is unable to remove it. They're going to have to remove the seat to get it out. :eek:

crunchierthanthou

If available for your vehicle, get the kind that is semi-permanent/screws in. The pressure mounted ones can become a projectile themselves.

agave

I'd show it to my husband but I'm not sure it would do any good. He still keeps a bunch of crap in his car even after being hit in the head by a D cell flashlight in a rollover.

Ontario.CRT.Jennifer

CPST Instructor
I showed this video today at work when I was doing car seat training for new social workers/volunteers/foster parents. It made a HUGE impact :) (pun intended). It was well received. I also used it as a discussion starter about how a car crash really involves three crashes (car striking object, person striking interior of vehicle [airbag/sealtbelt/etc], and internal organs striking body).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC